DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

I bought a tabletop lamp dimmer at the home center for about $10. It plugs between the heat light and the outlet and has a long cord to a slider control. I can adjust the brightness (and thereby the heat output) easily. Dimming make incandescent bulb last longer too.

Thermostats in brooders are "overkill" IMO, just watch the chicks and adjust the brightness of the lamp until they mostly sleep in a circle at the outer edge.

True but I figured to make my life easier
big_smile.png
Didn't have to worry about it when I wasn't around to check on them. First chicks (2 years ago)!

Also, if they are sleeping on the outer edge, I would say it is set a bit too high. Typically they would sleep in a group.

For lack of a ceiling hook, I found yet another use for coat hangers! Putting the lamp IN the cage made it way too hot!
You could probably just use a 100 watt incandescent bulb (don't get a coated safety bulb, coating is toxic) for a brooder that small inside a house, then you might be able to just set the lamp shade edge right on the wire top of cage.....agrees that the dimmer extension cord is a great tool for brooding.

You could probably just use a 100 watt incandescent bulb (don't get a coated safety bulb, coating is toxic) for a brooder that small inside a house, then you might be able to just set the lamp shade edge right on the wire top of cage.....agrees that the dimmer extension cord is a great tool for brooding.

That was my plan B, actually! And yes, I know about the coating ;)

This setup is working quite well. Temp is PERFECT! I also like that the red allows them to sleep; don't wanna mess with circadian rhythm if I don't have to ;)

For lack of a ceiling hook, I found yet another use for coat hangers! Putting the lamp IN the cage made it way too hot!
If its way too hot maybe you should go for a lower wattage lamp. They also need a cool spot to get out of the heat all together. My next brooder setup will be OUTSIDE.... LOL No more chick dander in the house.
gig.gif
I tried brooding up 48 guineas in moms garage... Her garage will never be the same again....
lau.gif

I am torn between brooding them in a box on Wire... or Brooding them out in the Coop with a chick warmer setup. Like a VERY short coffee table with a skirt for cicks to go in and out of and a hole in the middle to mount the heat lamp. So the chicks can go in and out as they need warmth but can run about and do chick stuff in fresh air...

deb

Check out this thread, where Beekissed uses a heating pad for both an incubator and a brooder. She just uses some fence wire to get it up off the ground and then attaches a pillow-case covered heating pad (that stays on till you turn it off) to it. The chicks get under it and also sit on top of it. She has it outside in her coop, and it has worked wonderfully.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...al-nest-incubation-experiment-1-so-it-begins/

If its way too hot maybe you should go for a lower wattage lamp.   They also need a cool spot to get out of the heat all together.    My next brooder setup will be OUTSIDE.... LOL  No more chick dander in the house.  :gig I tried brooding up 48 guineas in moms garage...  Her garage will never be the same again....:lau

I am torn between brooding them in a box on Wire...  or Brooding them out in the Coop with a chick warmer setup.  Like a VERY short coffee table with a skirt for cicks to go in and out of and a hole in the middle to mount the heat lamp.  So the chicks can go in and out as they need warmth but can run about and do chick stuff in fresh air...

deb

They have escape from the heat. It measures at 98 right directly under the centre of the bulb. The edges and corners of the cage are room temp. They have 6 square feet in there total!

That might be too hot....and after a few days they can take a cooler temp and will feather out sooner.

I also used a pseudo heat 'plate' made with a heating pad, got the idea from Bee, worked great!

The instructions with the incubator said 95-100 for brooder. I also took the measurement at the top of an egg carton, app. the same height as the chicks' bodies. I am noticing that they're sleeping around the edge of the "nest" I built them (towel with the edges rolled under to form sides) once they're fully fluffed. The older ones (up to 24.5 hrs old for the eldest) are already having fun running around the space!

I'm thinking once they're all hatched and fluffed, I'm gonna just move the "nest" a few inches away each day until they get to the room temp area. Also thinking I'll unplug the heatlamp during the day after a couple days/week.

Quote: OKey doke, you can follow those directions but from first hand experience and reading hundreds of posts on the subject.....95-100 is too hot.
Chicks are more likely to get sick from being too hot than too cold.

Checking brooder temps 90 directly under light on one end of brooder to about 80 at the other end of brooder is a good starting point.
Then watching chicks behavior will learn you to adjust the heat according to the ambient environment and the chicks age/condition.

If they are huddled/piled right under the light and cheeping loudly, they're too cold.
If they are spread as far away from light as they can get and panting, they're too hot.
If they are actively running around eating, drinking, pecking, chest bumping and just resting near the edge of the light, it's just right.

Back
Top Bottom