DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Pics
That thread is pretty cool!

I had a friend show me how he grows his potatoes in the bag. Rolls down the top of the bag, then drop some good soil in the bottom and a sprouting potato. Once the plant was established every week or so he topped up the bag with more soil. When he needed more potatoes he would empty the bag and harvest. Filling the bag made the plant grow more potatoes.

We are yet to give it a shot, but we were there when he harvest a bag from his crop.

EDIT: I just found this vid, I am sure there are more about but you get the idea!

Last edited:
Here is something neat I read on another thread (not my idea, but I will use it): She uses a dimmer switch in her brooder lamp, so if she needs to make it cooler or warmer she turns the switch rather than move the brooder. Cool!!

i do that. i am a power miser. i hate wasting electricity.

There is a handy plug-in dimmer switch that I use on mine. I got one at a big-box store and one at a lighting store. Each cost about $12 with tax, and there's no snipping and threading of wires involved. Plus, you just unplug it and use it with whatever else you want when you want! Great find and I recommend. I'll go look for a link and edit it onto this post.

Last edited:
That thread is pretty cool! I had a friend show me how he grows his potatoes in the bag. Rolls down the top of the bag, then drop some good soil in the bottom and a sprouting potato. Once the plant was established every week or so he topped up the bag with more soil. When he needed more potatoes he would empty the bag and harvest. Filling the bag made the plant grow more potatoes. We are yet to give it a shot, but we were there when he harvest a bag from his crop. EDIT: I just found this vid, I am sure there are more about but you get the idea!
WOW!! Great idea. I want to try that. Thanks for posting. :thumbsup

We have the plastic tarp style feed bags. I cut them into strips and wove them into the wall of my dog kennel as a draft barrier for new babies. As they grow i pull a few out and throw them away until they are all gone. Then everyone can see each other and introductions can start. I have toyed with sewing them together to make a tarp but haven't gotten the ambition to do that yet.

Last year when we got our chickens we had to build a coop for them. A distant relative had recently pulled down an old barn so we got the sides for free and bought 2x4s for the stud walls and 4x4s for the base. Then we started thinking about how to put on the roof. I came up with the idea of using an old pick-up camper shell we had that didn't fit our new small truck and had been sitting around for many years. We figure that if we had bought more wood and either shingles or tin to cover it the cost would have been about same as we could have sold the camper top for if lucky to find someone who had a truck it would fit. Plus, it was a lot easier just to put it on top of the walls :)

I make these out of feed bags.

Awesome.
love.gif
I may have to give that a try!

Back
Top Bottom