DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

A raptor resistant overhead for a henyard.

It's just light electric fence wire (not charged) spaced about every twelve to fourteen inches where it ties into the fence, wrapped once around the center pole then off to the other side of the yard. Haven't had a hawk, owl, or even crow come into the yard since I set it up.

A quick, easily cleaned brooder.

It's a Sterilite/Rubbermaid/whatever tub. Cut out the holes with a hacksaw blade. Drill holes, used lightweight braided picture hanging wire to secure the hardware cloth to the plastic. I made it for an exhibition brooder for my county fair, but I also use it for keeping chicks at the poultry swaps.

For those of you who are using cattle panel hoophouses this is how I hang my waterers and feeders.

This is both the top and bottom hook for the feeders.

For the waterers this is what I use at the bottom of the chain.

Also for the cattle panel hoop houses this is how I tie the board framing to the panels.

I use fourteen gauge galvanized electric fence wire for this purpose.

No-tip frames for holding #10 cans, rubber bowls, etc for use as feeders or waterers.

Last edited:
Jaj, that is so ingenious.......those totes are pretty tough if u dont cut them up to bad....wondering how I am going to handle cold temp and freezing in the lines and nipples.....might just go with a bucket with nipples during the winter and check water often....do u have an algae problem? Great design!

No algae problems this winter. I might when the weather starts to heat up. At that point I'll take out the heaters. The waterer is not directly exposed to sunlight so it shouldn't heat up too bad in the summer.

I have a few pics. This is a pic of a covered outside feeder that is in the chicken yard. I only have to fill it up every 2 weeks. It holds enough feed for 150+ chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, etc. It can stay in the weather and the feed does not get wet or moldy because it has a covered roof.

I"ll look for more pics to post.

Wow Wow Wowwie I love this! I was going to build a lean to half dust bath area half feeding seperated due to dust kick up. I might try to recreat this. I lvoe it! awesome job.
thumbsup.gif

It's a Sterilite/Rubbermaid/whatever tub. Cut out the holes with a hacksaw blade. Drill holes, used lightweight braided picture hanging wire to secure the hardware cloth to the plastic. I made it for an exhibition brooder for my county fair, but I also use it for keeping chicks at the poultry swaps.
I made one like this too for my babies!

I have a few pics. This is a pic of a covered outside feeder that is in the chicken yard. I only have to fill it up every 2 weeks. It holds enough feed for 150+ chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, etc. It can stay in the weather and the feed does not get wet or moldy because it has a covered roof.

I"ll look for more pics to post.

Wow Wow Wowwie I love this! I was going to build a lean to half dust bath area half feeding seperated due to dust kick up. I might try to recreat this. I lvoe it! awesome job.:thumbsup

Thank you!

It's just light electric fence wire (not charged) spaced about every twelve to fourteen inches where it ties into the fence, wrapped once around the center pole then off to the other side of the yard.  Haven't had a hawk, owl, or even crow come into the yard since I set it up.

It's a Sterilite/Rubbermaid/whatever tub.  Cut out the holes with a hacksaw blade.  Drill holes, used lightweight braided picture hanging wire to secure the hardware cloth to the plastic.  I made it for an exhibition brooder for my county fair, but I also use it for keeping chicks at the poultry swaps.

For those of you who are using cattle panel hoophouses this is how I hang my waterers and feeders.

This is both the top and bottom hook for the feeders.

For the waterers this is what I use at the bottom of the chain.

Also for the cattle panel hoop houses this is how I tie the board framing to the panels.

I use fourteen gauge galvanized electric fence wire for this purpose.

No-tip frames for holding #10 cans, rubber bowls, etc for use as feeders or waterers.

WOW !!! Everything looks great!!!! I love all of your inventions. :love

It's just light electric fence wire (not charged) spaced about every twelve to fourteen inches where it ties into the fence, wrapped once around the center pole then off to the other side of the yard. Haven't had a hawk, owl, or even crow come into the yard since I set it up.
That is super clever and attractive looking too!!! I might have to do something like that! I've been debating on how to cover our run and the biggest problem is that it's located under a neighbor's tree, so I'm afraid if we use poultry netting it will just catch leaves and we'd have to clean it up. The leaves could go right through this, but keep the hawks out! Love it!!! How long did it take you to string all of that up?

Coolcanoechic -
I love your feeder and I want to do that with the coop we will be building. Can you explain how you did it?
Thanks!

Hi NYchickee,
I simply used the space between the vertical wall studs. Once the plywood walls were up, I cut a hole up high on the outside and another down low on the inside. I made a tray for the feeder out of pine with a slanted bottom and attached it with wood screws. The board under the feeder tray gives the tray some support as well as something to screw to. If the tray ever needs cleaning, I can unscrew it to remove it. So far, it has not become dirty since I put a slanted board over it to keep poop out. The door on the outside is made from the plywood that was cut out of the wall.
Here is a picture of the coop before walls were up.

Hi NYchickee,
I simply used the space between the vertical wall studs. Once the plywood walls were up, I cut a hole up high on the outside and another down low on the inside. I made a tray for the feeder out of pine with a slanted bottom and attached it with wood screws. The board under the feeder tray gives the tray some support as well as something to screw to. If the tray ever needs cleaning, I can unscrew it to remove it. So far, it has not become dirty since I put a slanted board over it to keep poop out. The door on the outside is made from the plywood that was cut out of the wall.
Here is a picture of the coop before walls were up.

nice build !

Back
Top Bottom