DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Pics
It was on this thread that I saw about the grass frames for the chickens so that they can eat greens without digging up the grass. Just when I was calculating what I needed to make the frames, I saw some old screen frames for sale very cheap. So, I got them and my granddaughter and I took off the screens and put in hardware cloth and put them in the yard and threw in some grass seed. So here it is.

There you go....looks like a good screen - I'm about to build a grass box in my run, too and was going to use hardware cloth on a frame set on landscape timbers - thinking that would let the grass grow longer and maybe stand a better chance of not getting pulled up by the chickens. Don't know though.

Last edited:
woot.gif
Stumpy, I LOVE those feed bag totes!!! Very nice!! :)

Thanks. I need to make some more.

About the above mentioned DIY waterer: Please post pics when you can. Sounds like a great idea and cheap!! I am using a gallon-size ice-cream pail and have to refill it several times a day for our flock of 16. Plus it gets DIRTY fast. I tried one of those from Tractor Supply that you hang - hung it on a Shepherd's Hook (taken away from the Hummingbirds
hit.gif
) but it continually hung crooked and the seal didn't work. Took it back for a refund. Cost too much anyways. Would love to have 5 gallons of water at a time! Thanks!
It isn't DIY but I picked up a water base for a 5 gallon bucket at the farm supply store...I think it was $15.00 US & worth every penny. The trough part was also large enough to handle my ducks.

Hello all. I am new to the forum and new to chickens. Always lived in the country and don't know why I haven't had them before. My daughter has been pestering me so I finally broke down. After looking at several designs I sorta came up with my own. I have access to basically an endless supply of pallets so I figured I would use them(free) to keep the cost down. Here's some pics of my coop

null_zps31f208cf.jpg

null_zps0762e8e3.jpg

null_zpsa85eaa80.jpg

null_zpsd0286cfe.jpg

null_zpscffdeed6.jpg

null_zpse775d1f8.jpg

null_zps8c0da2eb.jpg

null_zps6889839a.png

null_zpsad0d3782.jpg

null_zps0275b666.png

null_zps7ec988fc.jpg

null_zpsd717d273.jpg

null_zps1be33b9d.jpg

null_zpsf59948cc.jpg

Hello all. I am new to the forum and new to chickens. Always lived in the country and don't know why I haven't had them before. My daughter has been pestering me so I finally broke down. After looking at several designs I sorta came up with my own. I have access to basically an endless supply of pallets so I figured I would use them(free) to keep the cost down. Here's some pics of my coop

null_zps31f208cf.jpg

null_zps0762e8e3.jpg

null_zpsa85eaa80.jpg

null_zpsd0286cfe.jpg

null_zpscffdeed6.jpg

null_zpse775d1f8.jpg

null_zps8c0da2eb.jpg

null_zps6889839a.png

null_zpsad0d3782.jpg

null_zps0275b666.png

null_zps7ec988fc.jpg

null_zpsd717d273.jpg

null_zps1be33b9d.jpg

null_zpsf59948cc.jpg
nice job

Love the coop there made from pallets. I think they are a very underrated material. As long as you take the time to work them they are great.

If I might add that you may want to add a lip to the front edge of your nesting boxes so the girls don't scratch the nesting material out. Does not have to be huge. Great work!

Love the coop there made from pallets. I think they are a very underrated material. As long as you take the time to work them they are great.

If I might add that you may want to add a lip to the front edge of your nesting boxes so the girls don't scratch the nesting material out. Does not have to be huge. Great work!

Will do. I'm still learning about all this stuff. Thanks for the tip. I'm picking up 6 5 weeks old barred rocks tomorrow.

We have a cockerel who would not stay off the top of the waterer in the brooder and was always pooping in the water! My son came up with the idea to make a cone out of a piece of paper and taped it on top. He hasn't been up there since and our water is staying nice and clean! Also, for a brooder we got a nice thick watermelon box for free from the grocery store! It's perfect and super sturdy! They are going on 5 weeks and haven't escaped once.

Back
Top Bottom