DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Pics
Does anyone have 100 + chickens and have special feeders? And does anyone have a mixed flock (poultry and waterfowl) and have special waterers? Curious to see what you all use for both your poultry and waterfowl that live together.

I have over 100 in my brooder right now and am using mason jar feeders and waterers. They are going through a gallon and a half of feed and water a day. I definitely need something bigger and soon. I have a watering system built but not installed yet, I'll have to post pics later. I'm planning on building a couple of 3 gallon bucket feeders, just waiting on a friend for the buckets.

I have over 100 in my brooder right now and am using mason jar feeders and waterers. They are going through a gallon and a half of feed and water a day. I definitely need something bigger and soon. I have a watering system built but not installed yet, I'll have to post pics later. I'm planning on building a couple of 3 gallon bucket feeders, just waiting on a friend for the buckets.

Sounds great. Excited to see what others have. Thanks! :thumbsup

There you go....looks like a good screen - I'm about to build a grass box in my run, too and was going to use hardware cloth on a frame set on landscape timbers - thinking that would let the grass grow longer and maybe stand a better chance of not getting pulled up by the chickens. Don't know though.
I will soon find out. Already have grass growing, NOT the seeds, they were only planted a few days ago, it is the grass that would have grown there if it weren't a chicken yard. Haha. It appears to be well rooted, so if they pull up the new grass by the roots, they won't be able to pull up the "rejuvenated" grass. I can't wait to see how green it gets. I know the girls are checking it out because there are droppings on one.
wee.gif

thank you :) i get the giggles even now when i look at it! Next I have to figure out a good easy to fill waterer. I have hardware mesh and don't want to cut a hole in it.
any ideas involving the nipple waterers and tubing of some kind?
- chanda

.......Guess what I did yesterday!! I put together the poop board - sides and all. Filled with 40 lbs of PDZ.

Wonder if I should've lined the bottom with something wipe-able, like contact paper or linoleum? Maybe the poodoo won't get down that far? Anyone do this?

I'll take some pictures later and post them - it's still dark out here!

Thanks for all the awesome ideas. Signing off as, Me and My Lil' Hammer! lol
frow.gif
Hi, me again! Here are the pictures of my poo-board, not anything invented or new, but I made it! haha I'm feeling like a kid with a new toy! (Battery-operated drill and saw!)
wee.gif

Hi, me again! Here are the pictures of my poo-board, not anything invented or new, but I made it! haha I'm feeling like a kid with a new toy! (Battery-operated drill and saw!)
wee.gif

I really like the coop building. Nice tree branch, too. I do have another suggestion...
hide.gif
. To save on weight, only put 2 or 3 inches of PDZ in the poop board/box. It doesn't need to be! any thicker than that, plus if you use a kitty litter scoop and clean out the poop (which can then be composted), it will last you a VERY long time.
smile.png
Yes, PDZ is compost friendly. Great stuff! Good on you for using it. I'm going to also!

Back
Top Bottom