DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Thanks for the +1 for Fleming auto doors. I will definitely check them out more. Love knowing which ones work well for folks.

Ok. Confession time. I made a public apology to the DIY thread on my other threads. Now to you. I could not understand why the thread was taken over with water warmers. I live in south Louisiana. We get a light dusting of snow for about 3 hours once every decade or so. This year, so far, it has snowed three times and there has been heavy ice and below freezing temps for days. I was going out and breaking the waster out of the waterers every few hours. I started putting warm water in them so it wouldn't freeze so fast. I had lots of homemade ways to keep the coops warm. I gained a lot of empathy for my northern bretheren. It's still colder than usual. Off and on we can wear shorts some days by now. Not this year. But I will be more careful in the future about thinking someone is unnecessarily hung up on a topic. Sorry, sorry & sorry. Those fotos look like fun fluffy white stuff that we are always praying for. New perspective here.

LOL You are too much! We in Michigan are getting a real sense of what Canada must feel like (and are now taking back all of our snide little comments, too, about their love of hockey and ham).
tongue.png
It's hard to understand something until you've lived it! I grew up in KY and lived for years in TN, but I have no real sense of what a true southern summer feels like (LA, GA, MS, or AL style). We liked to gripe about the heat and humidity, but you all had us beat, hands down!

It's hard to understand an unknown until you experience it. Cold I know how to deal with, we haven't been above 0 in a week but your hurricanes, big darn bugs, and humidity would be a real issue for me. Mostly the bugs.

It's hard to understand an unknown until you experience it. Cold I know how to deal with, we haven't been above 0 in a week but your hurricanes, big darn bugs, and humidity would be a real issue for me. Mostly the bugs.

Trust me, mostly the humidity. On the Louisiana thread we are obcessed for MONTHS with how to keep our animals alive in the heat. Every possible way to bring relief in the heat. For months it is so hot and humid that it's really hard to breathe. I string up misting areas for the chickens. And they are under a big oak tree. They would die quickly out in the sun. I also have fans and lots of frozen bottles. Even at night, you have to do something to cool down the air. It's the opposite of the artic vortex. And, yes, hurricanes. There have been two since I've had the chickens. That's always fun prep. Lol and it's hotter after a hurricane and no electricity. Mostly stay wet.

Last edited:
Ok. Confession time. I made a public apology to the DIY thread on my other threads. Now to you. I could not understand why the thread was taken over with water warmers. I live in south Louisiana. We get a light dusting of snow for about 3 hours once every decade or so. This year, so far, it has snowed three times and there has been heavy ice and below freezing temps for days. I was going out and breaking the waster out of the waterers every few hours. I started putting warm water in them so it wouldn't freeze so fast. I had lots of homemade ways to keep the coops warm. I gained a lot of empathy for my northern bretheren. It's still colder than usual. Off and on we can wear shorts some days by now. Not this year. But I will be more careful in the future about thinking someone is unnecessarily hung up on a topic. Sorry, sorry & sorry. Those fotos look like fun fluffy white stuff that we are always praying for. New perspective here.

Ain't it the truth. I saw snow yesterday for the first time in 3-4 yrs. About 5 min of it. 38 degrees at the time. We just haven't had the opportunity the observe what it's really like in winter in the north. I'm in N La . We get the heat. Oh yes we do.
lau.gif

I would MUCH rather deal with the cold and snow than the heat and bugs that never die!!!!!
Lived in Florida for not even a year and hated it.
Even have a hard time with heat and humidity here...living in the south would kill me...or I would just have to hide in an AC'd house for most the summer.

I would MUCH rather deal with the cold and snow than the heat and bugs that never die!!!!!
Lived in Florida for not even a year and hated it.
Even have a hard time with heat and humidity here...living in the south would kill me...or I would just have to hide in an AC'd house for most the summer.

I have to agree with you aart! My stepdaughter lives in SC and a SIL in Georgia and I just couldn't deal with the bugs and super dooper humidity. We get bad humidity here when the corn gets tall but nothing like the south gets.

Stepdaughter came here to spend one winter with us because she really wanted to see a real winter. She prayed and prayed for snow starting in October. Boy did she get her fill of it. We had 4 to 5 feet of snow on the ground the whole winter she was here!
barnie.gif
It usually melts off some during the winter and we don't usually have that much on the ground the whole winter.

When she got snow in SC this winter her husband told her she couldn't go out and drive to the store with that much snow (about an inch). She told him don't worry I went to Iowa to learn to drive in this stuff and this is nothing! Just cracked me up!
lau.gif

Shhh I wont say a word about our mild climate with NO humidity.... Or about the bugs that are with us year round but you hardly see them.

Ahem.... we finally got rain though.... .10-.20 inches every other day for the past few days.... Its not enough to remove the red flag warning for fire....

This past year in San Diego proper we should have gotten about 12 inches of rain.... we squeeked up to 9 inches. At my house past the mountains in the high desert we normally get 9 inches per year.... this past year we got 3. The 90 degree heat wave in January was un heard of ....

deb

Back
Top Bottom