DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

That is hard. Some folks who leave LGDs out on range with flocks where there are no houses near leave a big dog food dispenser for them to eat from and just leave them to it. That would sure take some trust in how long the dog food would last, if the watering system would work well and not fowl up, and if the dogs would stay put with the flocks at all times.

But it sure would be nice to have some dogs to combat your predators.
Even in my back country neck of the woods the people here are displaced city folk.... With City mentalities for the most part. I would love to have an LGD but concience dictates that I have my property fenced to keep them and the livestock in. Otherwise tthey would be picked up by animal control. Last time I estimated I would have to run about three miles of fence, seems like a lot but If I am going to fence I am going to cross fence too so no one area gets denuded. Even T post and field fence runs five dollars a linear foot installed.

Though.... I fI can keep the livestock in.... Electric fence..... then the LGD would stay with the livestock right? Hmmm. Now I have to think about this again.... Thanks Bee.

deb

Try this link for rodent proof wire. Sorry the link only gets the company name but you can Google that.

http://www.houwire.com/images/logo.png
So to get the link to work....... This is what it needs to say...... http://www.houwire.com

I found the wire.... Oh thank you so much. Now Ihave to send an email to the distributer in Los Angeles to find out how much it is. And IF I have to have a resale licence to buy it.

But now that I know the specifications I can check out local contracting places here. Some do sell retail. Even if I dont find the rodent proof wire I now know the Cable specs. My original plan was to run it in Grey pvc conduit the kind that is flared on one end so you just push them together to glue them. and Lay it on top of the ground open and unglued with some service loops every so often...... then when I can get my hands on a ditch witch Do the trench and glue and drop the pipe as a kind of production line With the occasional access T and junction box for failure testing later. I work Kindof BAssAkwards because I use a walker to get about. So jobs have to be done in short runs.

I plan to plumb my chicken coop rebuild in a similar fashion.

deb

My turner system messed up last summer. My son is going to work out a way to fix it with an old drill motor he took out of one that's batteries died. He is going to connect some kind of circuit board to make it move to a certain position. He said he can control humidity and temps too. He already built the drill part. He has to order the parts for the circuit board stuff. Glad he loves gadgets.

I am going to make a bator using the turner sold as spare parts for a Sportsman

Could someone give me the internal measurements of one of their bators please

Certainly and with pleasure!
big_smile.png

He's a 1266 from the GQF Manufacturing Co., so a high velocity fan model.

Depth INSIDE is 29 inches, width INSIDE is 14.5 inches, height INSIDE is 30 inches. Hmmm...wonder why mine's an inch less deep?

Three moving shelves on this unit. From the bottom INSIDE measurement, bottom shelf begins at 3 inches, 3/4 inch metal shelf bracket. Second shelf is 9.5 inches from bottom with 3/4 inch metal shelf bracket, then top shelf, from bottom INSIDE measurement is 15.5 inches with a 3/4 inch space for metal shelf bracket.

There is one shelf at the top that is made of 3/8 inch plywood. Top shelf, bottom of the 3/8 inch plywood, measurement upwards to INSIDE top of 'bator is eight inches.

If you need more details (like maybe where they put the turner motor maybe??), yah know what home I've wandered away from today...
wee.gif

Nothing but a poofy YELLER featherduster housecoat,,,still got on one slipper; sunny gentle breezy, wonderful day for a stroll--NO daffies but a few ducks...now wherever have I wandered off too...

Oh there's a shiny....
tongue.png

Follow, follow, follow...<<there goes my other slipper>> Quick, act like you don't know moi...RUN for it...hide in the petunias or climb a palm...I'll never find you!

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada

Certainly and with pleasure!
big_smile.png

He's a 1266 from the GQF Manufacturing Co., so a high velocity fan model.

Depth INSIDE is 29 inches, width INSIDE is 14.5 inches, height INSIDE is 30 inches. Hmmm...wonder why mine's an inch less deep?

Three moving shelves on this unit. From the bottom INSIDE measurement, bottom shelf begins at 3 inches, 3/4 inch metal shelf bracket. Second shelf is 9.5 inches from bottom with 3/4 inch metal shelf bracket, then top shelf, from bottom INSIDE measurement is 15.5 inches with a 3/4 inch space for metal shelf bracket.

There is one shelf at the top that is made of 3/8 inch plywood. Top shelf, bottom of the 3/8 inch plywood, measurement upwards to INSIDE top of 'bator is eight inches.

If you need more details (like maybe where they put the turner motor maybe??), yah know what home I've wandered away from today...
wee.gif

Nothing but a poofy YELLER featherduster housecoat,,,still got on one slipper; sunny gentle breezy, wonderful day for a stroll--NO daffies but a few ducks...now wherever have I wandered off too...

Oh there's a shiny....
tongue.png

Follow, follow, follow...<<there goes my other slipper>> Quick, act like you don't know moi...RUN for it...hide in the petunias or climb a palm...I'll never find you!

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta, Canada
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom