DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

I wove small 10+/- foot canes vertically down inbeteeen the chik'n fence wire about 20 foot apart, and let them stick up about 5'-6'. I used cheap 10-12pd test monofiliment fishing line inbetween all around the area up 3-4 strands about 1 foot apart above the 4ft tall chik'n wire. And then across kitty-corner and across the pen here and there. It doesn't take a lot of strands before the birds of prey figure it's not worth the risk getting trapped and not being able to escape quickly...let alone carrying a 5-7 pound squawking bird. (which out weighs most of the hawks anyway, owls and eagles are another matter!) There's many spots I can wave my arms overhead without hitting the fishing lines.
I do have 2-3 nesting pairs of hawks around here....ditto for the owls. A few eagles too. But I've watched the Hawks roosting in trees within 60 yards watching the chik'ns out in the pen. The chik'ns don't pay any attention to them unless they fly overhead....or they see a shadow flying acrosss the pen!. But even songbirds will not fly into the pen....or hardly even over the pen within 30 feet. But I think the crows fly across and "caw" just about overhead (up 60 ft or so though) just to watch the chik'ns scatter...lol And for the first few days one or another crow would roost in a close tall tree and call it's buddies up to see the new "dinner" plate I was setting for them...but they saw the fine lines strung up and quit in just 2 or 3 days!
There's an single strand electric fence just outside of the pen about 10" off the ground for other climbing/digging chik'n loving critters...my cat included. I've heard squalls from my cat "one time"...the slower learner dog 3 times...and 3-4 other squeels from other night visiting varmits late at night (raccoons, possums, coyotes, stray dogs, and neighbor cats)...and 3 or 4 "unnnggghhh!!"'s from my own silly not-so-careful self...we all avoid that fence now religiously! Had 2 chik'ns test the integrity of the fishing lines, too. NONE will try to fly over the 4 ft tall fence now since they found the lines were not spider webs and the electric fence just outside would BITE!
I have had the chik'ns out in this pen since they were barely 1 pound each..it works!

@MeepBeep

I am Totally in Awe....
bow.gif

Keepiing the simpicity of melting aluminum and casting it in my notes.... One of my neighbors has an old horse shoers forge.... the kind that use acetelyne.... I may try to talk him out of it....

You could use that aluminum for all sorts of things... in my case because it shines up sooo pretty I would be using it for art....

deb

Probably vaporize the aluminum instead of melting it
lau.gif
I once vaporized ice in a metal rain gutter with a propane torch. Went straight from ice to flame. I stopped melting about that time. Cool but kinda scary so I decided it was time to let Mother Nature finish the job!

Very interesting and educational "conversation".

I am so jealous! Anatolians are fantastic dogs. I want one (or 2) for animal guarding, but my husband says we are at our dog limit. We only have 3, and one is little, so she doesn't really count, right? So unfair.....lol.
Yeah I have 4 Anatolians, 2 males and 2 females and 1 female great Pyrenees
Here are pictures of them...
This is one of my boys "Walker"
This is one of my females "Gidget" training my male "Boone" that the property is a "no fly zone."
This is a picture of my litter from this year learning sheep aren't food from an early age.
Gidget is letting the baby lamb nurse off of her. Gidget had a litter of puppies, so she had milk.
My Great Pyrenees "Lucy Lou" loves snow and is trying to get Gidget and Walker's mom "Shiloh" to play too.
One of Gidget's puppies "Ashley" is hanging out with Grandma.
Gidget with her puppies.
I love my Anatolians, and my Pyrenees. They are great!

What do people use to gather eggs for hatching? The standard basket seems to cumbersome for fragile eggs where a hairline crack can destroy it for hatching purposes. Currently, I use old egg cartons and carry a stack of them. Predictably, one day last week the top carton fell off the stack as was carrying them. It made me think someone else might have come up with a better solution for carrying high value eggs from coop to the house.

My only though up to this point is a cooler with a good handle, stacking egg cartons inside (and maybe a hot water bottle or icepack, if needed).

What do people use to gather eggs for hatching? The standard basket seems to cumbersome for fragile eggs where a hairline crack can destroy it for hatching purposes. Currently, I use old egg cartons and carry a stack of them. Predictably, one day last week the top carton fell off the stack as was carrying them. It made me think someone else might have come up with a better solution for carrying high value eggs from coop to the house.

My only though up to this point is a cooler with a good handle, stacking egg cartons inside (and maybe a hot water bottle or icepack, if needed).
Cooler sounds like a good idea.

Maybe post this as a new thread in the hatching forum to get more ideas from folks who hatch a lot?

Last edited:
Quote:
Cooler on a wagon would be good.... get some bigger egg trays similar to the ones that go in to incubators.... Back when I had chickens I had to go through the goat yard.... so IF i had been collecting eggs for hatching That cooler would be a life saver.

Some people also use a Wire Whisk attached to a pole to gather eggs out of corners where they are carefully hidden....

you just gently set it ontop of the egg and press down... the wires move and the egg goes in and gets captured.

deb

Cooler on a wagon would be good.... get some bigger egg trays similar to the ones that go in to incubators.... Back when I had chickens I had to go through the goat yard.... so IF i had been collecting eggs for hatching That cooler would be a life saver.

Some people also use a Wire Whisk attached to a pole to gather eggs out of corners where they are carefully hidden....

you just gently set it ontop of the egg and press down... the wires move and the egg goes in and gets captured.

deb
Hey, that would also prevent poopy fingers if you have one or two stupid pullets who haven't gotten the message, despite your best efforts, that nests are NOT for sleepovers or naps! LOL

I keep a cardboard box filled with deep hay, which I separate into different "nests" in the box for the designated eggs...usually shape it into a bowl just like a chicken would. Then I mark on the box, over each nest, the eggs in that nest and from which breeder. I then leave that box up inside my shed next to my breeding pen, where it's cool and dark and the air humidity is approximately the same as it would be in a natural nest in that area of the yard. When I've collected enough, I then transfer to them to appropriate broody or carry the box down to the incubator....the nests in the hay keep the eggs where they need to be~cushioned and safe~in each nest until it's time to be incubated.

Back
Top Bottom