DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

Leaf blower feed delivery video
0.jpg

This video is for a device to fill Deer feeders... Which are 55 gallon drums mounted on legs about eight feet in the air. (for people who dont know) My idea is to have a similar system in the coop and have the deer feeder spinner set up to deliver feed either directly to the chicken feeders.

I am working on the premise that I will be in a wheel chair eventually so am designing with the idea of backing the truck up and dragging feed sacks off the truck and zipping the strings. this will keep me on the ground without having to lift and haul bags. When I have my poultry house built I will have the capacity of approximately two hundred, Chickens, Guinea fowl, Turkeys and Ducks. I also will have goats. They will have their own feed bin for pellets.

deb

This video is for a device to fill Deer feeders... Which are 55 gallon drums mounted on legs about eight feet in the air. (for people who dont know) My idea is to have a similar system in the coop and have the deer feeder spinner set up to deliver feed either directly to the chicken feeders.

deb

In a previous life...I designed and used the same concept to move water out of a stream to spray a garden...

Worked pretty well, till I finally got around to fixing the trash pump...

Whole grains, no problem, but do you think your feed will survive the turbulence?

I have found even my pelleted feed contains a significant amount of food "dust"...

it doesnt matter for me because my coop is extremely open air... Roof two walls and ALOT of wire. Besides I plan on Fermenting my poultry feed when it all gets setup. Just about all bagged feed unless it has a significant amount of Molasses will have dust. even then...

I have asthma but poultry dander doesn't bother me too much... Its only if I get mold that i am down for about a two week bout.

deb

it doesnt matter for me because my coop is extremely open air... Roof two walls and ALOT of wire. Besides I plan on Fermenting my poultry feed when it all gets setup. Just about all bagged feed unless it has a significant amount of Molasses will have dust. even then...

I have asthma but poultry dander doesn't bother me too much... Its only if I get mold that i am down for about a two week bout.

deb

The dust I am referring to would actually be food, that will be wasted if airborne.

I bet there is at least 3 or 4 pounds in a 50 pound bag, with the layer pellets I get from Purina.

I never measured it, as the birds eat it all, and I have no waste with my feeders.

Love the dander removal idea! I have done the job before using our leaf blower but I used my fan (from inside my coop)to force it out the vent at the roof peek. Not a perfect job but it got much of it out. Problem was my flock didn't lay worth a darn for two days after. So I use a broom now instead. I try to dust it out weekly so my Hubby can go in and out safely with his asthma.

The dust I am referring to would actually be food, that will be wasted if airborne.

I bet there is at least 3 or 4 pounds in a 50 pound bag, with the layer pellets I get from Purina.

I never measured it, as the birds eat it all, and I have no waste with my feeders.

That seems quite a lot as a percentage. Maybe due to all the handling of the bags before you get it at the store? I've been buying from a local grain place. They sell at some farm/garden stores but if I am up their way, I pick it up a the "factory". Either way the bag has been handled only a few times. I fill my 10 gallon cans by placing them over the open 50# bag and inverting. I see very little dust on the top and when the trash can is empty I doubt I have half a cup of "feed dust" in the bottom.

The powder in the feed bags i collect and save for use as mash for ducklings, goslings. I just add it to the chick food and moisten. Works like a charm and no wast. I even collect with a very small shop vac the powder left over in the feeders. Usually come winter i have 5-8 ice cream pails full, just add corn, oats get moist and feed.

Back
Top Bottom