DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

I have done the blades right side up and, got the belt going backwards on the spindles they will cut somewhat and the grass will look hacked up.
Also is the metal part of your plastic discharge chute bent out of shape? I had one that worked up and down with the plastic chute just fine but, was bent on the leading edge and blocking about 1/4 the grass discharge, the deck kept loading up something terrible and leaving clumps in odd spots.
Goodluck with it!
Scott

Has anyone used an empty speaker box as nesting boxes? I just got one for free today, it has 2 compartments, and I think the chickens will fit in there. We'll see tomorrow when the sun comes up.

Has anyone used an empty speaker box as nesting boxes? I just got one for free today, it has 2 compartments, and I think the chickens will fit in there. We'll see tomorrow when the sun comes up.

Milk crates, cat litter buckets, paint buckets,rolled up (like cuffing jeans) feed bags with sticks for props, old lawn mower tires, green bean boxes, all kind of cardboard boxes, old propane BBQ grill body, old clam-shell tool box, dish pans, several old pots and roaster pans. I don't remember using or loosing a speaker box to a hen for a nest.
It should work just fine!
Scott

Some of my yard areas have lush thick lawn type grass, some of the field areas have sparse but tougher plants and saplings...gator blades cut through them all.

Bad mower deck discharge.....first thing to check is are the blades installed correct side up(angled part blade goes up).....
.......and is belt installation correct for cutting edge first rotation...both easier than you might think to get backwards, I've done both.

Yep on both counts. The blades have "grass side" stamped into them. The deck has a picture of how to install the belt. Guess they have things covered for the less experienced owners. I do like the tension release on this deck. Spring connected to the idler pulley and a nice long metal rod that hooks under a tab on the deck. Prior mower ('95 Yardman 50" deck free from a friend) was a bit of a PITA - push on the idler pulley while threading the belt up between the two very long "belt keeper" bolts and around the pulley under the PTO.

I suspect that when using the side discharge, part of the problem is the deck is 54" wide; that is a long way for the grass cut by the left side blade to go. Has to pass the center and right side blades before it can go out. Lots of time to hang up on the inner surfaces of the deck. And once some sticks, it is just more surface, already not smooth, to catch some more. Deck width shouldn't be a problem with mulching blades though. But since the mulchers keep the cut grass up for additional hits, I suppose some of it invariably will stick to the underside of the deck causing the same "substrate" problem. In either case, the grass is being thrown at very high speed against the sides of the deck. Maybe we need a blower to shove it out before it can stick
wink.png

Neighbor across the street has an "invention" on his mower - a cord attached to the end of the chute so he can pull it up and get close on the right side rather than having to go around and approach from the other side. Also helpful if you have a space that is not much wider than the deck but too wide with the chute down.

Back
Top Bottom