DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

pop.gif

I use green house panels in the winter on my run, is that what you mean? if so, just click on "My Coop" under my avatar to see how they are attached to my run (scroll to bottom). If that is not what you mean, nevermind! lol
tongue.png

just attack heavy tarps to my run to block wind in themain directions it comes from in ohio . feel they are better acclimated this way. coop is 3 inch thick timbers and they run in and out if they feel up to it. thought about the greenhouse panel idea but tree limbs falling on it would distroy it in no time here

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a "winter proof" chicken coop out of panels?

it really depends on your "Winter" what kind of winter you have. There are people here all the way from the Philippines to Alaska. Dry deserts to wet rain forest... Yep there are cold rain forests too.

IN my climate Which is Mild High Desert. I get WIND as a major component. About 72 hours worth of snow .... not all in one day. Rain in the form of Cloud bursts that can dump enough water that can flash flood in seconds. A dry wash will be a Raging flood in seconds and dry again in more seconds.

My coops are chainlink with one solid wall on the prevailing wind side. I stack bales of straw to make an igloo for the goats. But my roof's are canvas over chainlink. The same setup that works for winter works for summer. the only difference would be added straw bales and or an extra tarp added for winter winds.

What ever you do no matter the temperature Chickens need ventilation Not a breeze thorugh but a chance for ammonia to escape and fresh air to enter, and a DRY place to hang out. Most chickens can handle low temps. Very low temps I have a friend that has chickens in Alaska. His coops are made of scavanged materials and the only coops that have any kind of heat are ones situated in his green house. He follows that fresh air no direct draft chriteria.

deb

Back
Top Bottom