DIY Thread - Let's see your "Inventions".

I just posted a page on an auto shut predator and weather resistant window.

Predator Proof Window with an Automatic Shut and Lock Trigger
This doesn't quite make sense to me.....opening is protected by HC anyway.....but coon knocks window prop out and window closes?
All my windows have HC, and most are propped open with stick, much longer stick for more airflow.
Is length of stick important? Bungie is only to find stick after it drops?

I just posted a page on an auto shut predator and weather resistant window.
Predator Proof Window with an Automatic Shut and Lock Trigger
This doesn't quite make sense to me.....opening is protected by HC anyway.....but coon knocks window prop out and window closes? All my windows have HC, and most are propped open with stick, much longer stick for more airflow. Is length of stick important? Bungie is only to find stick after it drops?
I agree, I'm trying to figure out the benefit, because if that window gets 'closed' early evening (or whenever) the birds could be cooped up with insufficient ventilation all night, and that could be 12+ hours if it's not immediately noticed and reset... If that happens every night or even frequently you are bound to start facing air quality and the resulting associated health issues due to lack of ventilation...

This doesn't quite make sense to me.....opening is protected by HC anyway.....but coon knocks window prop out and window closes?
All my windows have HC, and most are propped open with stick, much longer stick for more airflow.
Is length of stick important? Bungie is only to find stick after it drops?

My main objective was to open the windows for increased airflow during the summer heat.
Dual purpose design was a bonus.

The bungee is what gets squeezed between the window and 2x4 frame.
One end is attached to the inside window frame, the other to the stick.

This makes the window very difficult to pull back open.

The 1/2 inch hardware cloth is the weakest link to my coop.
The window simply adds a second layer of protection.

Having the window effectively shut closed upon an assault may seem as overkill, but we also experience strong, even hurricane force winds with rain.

Previously opened windows, wind driven rain would enter the coop (old horse shed).
Those windows were nailed shut because of this...

Once the recessed windows are closed, wind will not allow them to sail
Thus, weather and predator proof...

I agree, I'm trying to figure out the benefit, because if that window gets 'closed' early evening (or whenever) the birds could be cooped up with insufficient ventilation all night, and that could be 12+ hours if it's not immediately noticed and reset... If that happens every night or even frequently you are bound to start facing air quality and the resulting associated health issues due to lack of ventilation...
Those windows were never opened.

With them closed, I still have in excess of 1.3 square feet of ventilation per bird.

Hot summer nights, now perhaps a breeze, where all other ventilation is draft free.

Quote: I can see the benefit of the bungie acting as a 'press fit latch' of sorts-that wasn't really clear in the article,
I'd say you got lucky that thickness of bungie matches well with gap at the bottom of window for it to work.
I know my top hinged windows don't close tight due to the physics of gravity, I screw a cleat in the sill in winter to keep them closed.

I can see the length of the stick is probably important, opening narrow enough for when fatter than opening coon comes sniffing around he lifts window so stick will drop.

I can see the benefit of the bungie acting as a 'press fit latch' of sorts-that wasn't really clear in the article,
I'd say you got lucky that thickness of bungie matches well with gap at the bottom of window for it to work.
I know my top hinged windows don't close tight due to the physics of gravity, I screw a cleat in the sill in winter to keep them closed.

I can see the length of the stick is probably important, opening narrow enough for when fatter than opening coon comes sniffing around he lifts window so stick will drop.
Actually even though I measured and started with the smallest, the first bungee was too thin..
hmm.png

The stick size is designed to keep the window open, but still under the roof line so a normal rain would not wet the window...

Also, the window is very heavy and I did not want to chance the force of the closure breaking the glass.

My thoughts were if a coon was trying to get in, it would eventually hit the stick, and he would back out regardless.

The window opening is at roost level. It will be closed once the colder weather arrives to avoid direct drafts.

It works well to cool down the coop on those hot days, cooler nights.

I designed it primarily for bad weather automatic closures.

I am often away, storm comes in, coop remains dry. Less worries.

Back
Top Bottom