Dizzy chicken, any help, insights, thoughts.

Jdav76

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2020
We have had our chickens for a little while but haven’t had them long enough to learn all the things that could go wrong. I’m having issues loading the video.
The other day our hen started having issues. It seemed like what a person with inner ear would be. She is able to walk, eat, drink. She staggers and puts her wings out to catch herself. Just need some thoughts on what to do to help her.

Attachments

• BBF2E643-A187-4431-B31E-EA2F2C4B8FAE.jpeg
    BBF2E643-A187-4431-B31E-EA2F2C4B8FAE.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18
We have had our chickens for a little while but haven’t had them long enough to learn all the things that could go wrong. I’m having issues loading the video.
The other day our hen started having issues. It seemed like what a person with inner ear would be. She is able to walk, eat, drink. She staggers and puts her wings out to catch herself. Just need some thoughts on what to do to help her.
  • How old is she?
  • When did she last lay an egg?
  • Did you inspect her for lice/poultry mites and the coop as well? It's the time of the year where poultry mites suddenly appear and depending on the amount, can cause aneamia overnight sucking the chickens blood.
  • Did you inspect her ears to see if there is mites or tics or crusty stuff (ear infection)?
  • Did she get attacked to the head lately?
  • When did you last deworm your chickens?
  • What exactly do you feed? Did you check the feed (milling date, mouldy smell, mites or similar)?
  • How do her eyes look? Colour of iris faded or greyish, pupils dilated or rather pinpoint? Do they react to light changes?
  • Was she vaccinated against Marek's disease?
  • How do her droppings look?
  • And last but not least: How does her crop feel? Does it empty properly overnight?

Please don't judge us by the lack of reply, I just stumbled across this thread and sadly don't have a clue as to what the problem may be. However I noticed @Stipenvlerk has called some experts. Good luck, thoughts and prayers you and your chickens way. Sure hope you find an answer. :hugs

• How old is she?
  • When did she last lay an egg?
  • Did you inspect her for lice/poultry mites and the coop as well? It's the time of the year where poultry mites suddenly appear and depending on the amount, can cause aneamia overnight sucking the chickens blood.
  • Did you inspect her ears to see if there is mites or tics or crusty stuff (ear infection)?
  • Did she get attacked to the head lately?
  • When did you last deworm your chickens?
  • What exactly do you feed? Did you check the feed (milling date, mouldy smell, mites or similar)?
  • How do her eyes look? Colour of iris faded or greyish, pupils dilated or rather pinpoint? Do they react to light changes?
  • Was she vaccinated against Marek's disease?
  • How do her droppings look?
  • And last but not least: How does her crop feel? Does it empty properly overnight?
Don’t know all of those answers offhand but she did lay an egg yesterday. She is around 7-8 months old. This didn’t happen until after she started laying. Didn’t know if that had anything to do with it? Her comb is still red in places but some has darkened. Haven’t had issues with the others. I know she fell off of their makeshift nest instead of using the nesting boxes. (I think she could’ve hit her head but my wife thinks it might’ve been after, I don’t know). Their feed is a mixture of organic feed and layer feed from TS sometimes RK. Didn’t usually give organic layer feed but they had a deal and I thought I’d try it. They also free range during the day. Have no idea about mareks, she was a store chick.

I know she fell off of their makeshift nest instead of using the nesting boxes. (I think she could’ve hit her head but my wife thinks it might’ve been after, I don’t know).
She might have injured herself if it was high enough.

When did this happen, how many days ago?
Was she off balance immediately afterwards?

Back
Top Bottom