DLM in the coop, sand in the run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Nonny, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've heard that both methods have benefits and wondering which to use for my new setup. It will have an earth floor in the run, wooden floor in the raised coop.

What do you reckon? Can I have the best of both worlds and use DLM in the coop itself, but sand in the run?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  2. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I am totally new but thats' what I am doing, no clue if I am doing something wrong [​IMG]

3. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    Sure, I think a good many folks use that idea. Go for it. You'll love sand in the run rather than the dirt.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I've heard that both methods have benefits and wondering which to use for my new setup. It will have an earth floor in the run, wooden floor in the raised coop.

What do you reckon? Can I have the best of both worlds and use DLM in the coop itself, but sand in the run?

[​IMG] It's perfect​

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Anything is better than dirt.. Especially if you have feather legged chickens. [​IMG]

My run is far too large to put sand in it though. I put down leaves instead. It took 5 HUGE bags of leaves to cover the dirt..

6. fireguy56

fireguy56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2010
    Slidell, Louisiana
    Hi, From what I have read and decided to use in both of my coop/run setups, you are on target. I love the deep litter method in coop, along with poop board to help collect alot of the poop before it even hits the floor. Sand in the run to me is the only way to go. Very easy to maintain. Good luck,
    Erik

7. Mom2Five

Mom2Five Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2011
    Stuarts Draft, VA
    I have buff orpingtons and use deep litter inside the coop. I have a secured run attached to the coop that WAS grass for about a day. Now I rake up leaves and dump them inside the run. The birds LOVE it when I give them some fresh leaves.

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I think that both will work well. I use sand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by