DLM---Small Coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by lhayes1976, Oct 25, 2011.

1. lhayes1976

lhayes1976 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I have a small 4x4 coop that houses my three Golden Comets--it has a small door that they go in and out of to get to their run. I plan on putting a small board in front of the opening to keep the shavings from being tracked out. I think the deepest I will be able to get the shavings is 4 inches. Has anyone had success with DLM and small coops?

2. catdaddy66

catdaddy66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2009
    Lugoff, SC
    Sorry, never had a 'small' coop! But I see no reason you couldn't use the DLM. With only 3 birds you may not need to add much each time and could probably wait 6 months between cleanings. I would try it without blinking! [​IMG] Good luck!

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    I dont have your size either but DLM seem the way to go for a large area but others rave about sand and in such a small area I might vote for sand for you and a long handled pooper scooper. Just a thought.

4. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    I have a 4.5x4.5 coop with 10 birds stuffed in it. [​IMG] I just put a board up myself to keep the litter in. I fluffed it all up to 3-4 inches and they packed it all down already. i'm hoping this will work too. They will have to have substantial time outside this winter due to the overcrowding... darn that chicken math! I think you'll do fine with your properly sized coop.

5. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    You chicken to SQ Ft ratio is nearly twice what mine is and we use Deep litter. 4" should be just fine. If you need a little more just don't put it really deep next to the door. Also add DE to it to dry anything out quickly. Works like magic. We fluff ours occasionally with a hay fork. Clean it three times a year, spring, when our garden is about 12", and right before the snow flies.

4" will be plenty, keep it dry and mix it up. You will love it in your garden or compost!!!

6. lhayes1976

lhayes1976 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    There is still some sand on the floor of the coop--should I get it all out or just leave it in and put the shavngs over the sand?

7. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    i have a 4' square coop as well and use DE in the hay. I piled mine up and the girls scraped half of it out to the run floor, so my husband will have to install a board to hold it all in. i scooped all the old hay out and put a fresh layer in after a month. i dont think i needed to do it, but i finally got my DE, so i wanted to apply it [​IMG]

8. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Quote:I wouldn't worry about it... It will come out in the spring when you clean out the litter. I always sweep up in spring and fall and get a good fresh bed down. I don't get out bleach buckets or anything, just a sweep, new bedding and a good layer of DE. Then add shavings and DE as needed till about mid june, clean it out to the garden and dress the rows, then clean it again before the snow flies...

the more you mess with it, the more it will become a chore. At least that is the way we look at it. In the spring we are excited to get the garden going, mid June we want to give the plants a little boost, and in the fall we are cleaning up the garden and getting it ready for winter, so cleaning the coop just goes along with those activities we are already doing. I try to keep things simple, and easy. Chickens are tough, they don't really need a lot, we just choose to give them a lot. It is mostly voluntary.

9. Elbowmarie

Elbowmarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 21, 2011
    The 'burg
    yay! I've got a tiny coop, 2x4.5 for my two hens, I think I'm going to try DLM....
    I'll let you know how things go!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by