1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do 8 month old chickens molt?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ChickenGirl23, Nov 23, 2015.

1. ChickenGirl23

ChickenGirl23 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2014
    Kansas City
    I didn't think a chicken molted their first year, but I have an 8 month old polish missing lots of feathers. I see new ones growing in. She is pretty scraggly looking and missing all her tail feathers. She is perky and active, but not laying eggs. This has been going on a couple of weeks. Not sure if I should worry about other issues or if it just a molt. This is my first flock of chickens.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She is young for an adult molt, but it does sound like that is what is going on, I would guess that she's at such an age that her body decided to molt instead of waiting a whole year. Extra protein can help it along.

1 person likes this.
  3. dlp40

dlp40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2015
    Florence sc
    Mine all "mini" molted around 8 months but no full molts to date at 12 months old

1 person likes this.
  4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    This fall, my entire flock (20+) of first year birds (hatched in Jan, purchased from a hatchery) molted. Every. Single. One. I've never had that happen before, they were about 8-9 months old when they started their molt.

5. junebuggena

junebuggena Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Same here. My flock started in September, when they were about 8-9 months old. They are still in various stages of molting. At first, I thought it was just going to be a mini-molt, but it has turned out that most of my flock are just really slow, gradual molters. I've only got two that shed just about every single feather on their bodies overnight.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Same here, they took FOREVER to finish. I got tired of waiting on and feeding them, so they all went to new homes. I need to concentrate more on my other projects anyway.

They had all just found their stride and then BAM, lets all molt. Boo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by