Do a have a Roo?

rparrny

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 2, 2012
I am brooding 6 RIR I estimate to be about 6 weeks old now. One of the largest started forming a comb much sooner than the rest (they were all about the same age when I got them) and is very dominant and assertive. I've been reading "dummies" and am trying to determine if I have a Roo, they were supposed to be sexed but nothing is 100%. I've been looking at the neck feathers and really don't see a difference, nor with the tail feathers. Any suggestions? Do I have a Roo (which I wouldn't mind) or just the lead hen?

Rivka

Why would you need to seperate him?

Chickens reach sexual maturity as early as 16 weeks, 20 is pretty usual.
I think I may have a ROO too. Mine are 11 weeks old and one definitely has a good sized comb! At what point will he start to fertilize my hens? When should I separate him from them?

Tried to get a good pic but he wouldn't cooperate... I am more and more convinced I have a roo. He is now MUCH bigger than all the others, and very dominant. Today I took them all out of the cage for some exercise and one of them knocked something over and it made a loud noise...my "roo" made a loud chicken noise and they all came huddling around him. I now notice beautiful black feathers around his neck which none of the others have and his tail feathers are longer than all the others.
So here's my question: He allows me to handle him and seems very comfortable with me so I'm not worried about a nasty roo...what will it do to the eggs as far as consumption goes. If I go out and get them every day and put them in the fridge will they be edible or will I end up with half a chick embryo in my fry pan?

Rivka

If you don't gather eggs for a week your still ok to eat the eggs. It just don't happen that quick, you may have a spot in the yolk. You decide if you like that or not. I've gotten it in store bought eggs also, but if you don't have chickens you don't know. The eggs are still good.

thanks Troy for the response. I'm an orthodox Jew and we can't consume blood in any form so a blood spot is an issue. Yes, I have had to throw out a few store bought eggs because of it but not that many...and my "garbage can" is my dog Vegas, so it really isn't wasted. I'm hoping if I'm diligent and get them everyday that I will not have too many blood spotted eggs.

Rivka

I don't know what qualifies as kosher, but you might want to look through the Egg Quality Handbook, especially the blood spots and meat spots portions. Then maybe talk to an expert. Hopefully your Rabbi is qualified.

Egg Quality Handbook
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/ourbooks/1/egg-quality-handbook/

Blood spots and meat spots have nothing to do with a rooster. The cause is totally something different. The big commercial egg comanies automatically "candle" their eggs to find and remove eggs with blood spots and meat spots, but a lot of the smaller companies don't, especially the ones that may sell at farmer's markets and maybe in some of the "natural" stores.

I would not think a fertilized egg would violate the blood taboo as long as it is not incubated, but I am not an expert. The fertilized cell will divide a bit while it is still inside the hen's body since it is at incubation temperature. That's why you get the bull's eye, but I'm not sure when blood actually forms. Again, you might want to talk to your Rabbi about it.

What a great link thank you! It answered a lot of my questions.

Rivka

Back
Top Bottom