Do all bantam eggs hatch at 19 days, or only certain breeds?

FowlWitch

Songster
Jun 11, 2019
California
I just set dutch bantams, silkie bantams, and barnyard mix bantams (From the seller: bantam Cochin, bantam black frizzled Silkie, bantam blue smooth Silkie, bantam blue Old English Game hen, bantam Quail Belgian Bearded D'Anver, bantam crested barred Cochin mix). Should I plan for a 19 day incubation or a typical 21 day incubation?

I also have a second question related to this batch of eggs. Has anybody ever hatched a healthy chick from an elongated egg?

Edit: pic of egg
View attachment 1846504

Incubation length has to do with size, so if the eggs have roughly the same size, they'll hatch at the same time. Bantam sized eggs will usually hatch day 19 or 20 with correct temps. If you have some that are a lot bigger, you can set them a day ahead of the others and vice versa.

As for the elongated egg, I can't view your picture but generally speaking, any misshapen eggs will be difficult for the chick to hatch from, so it's a good chance it'll need assistance after internal pipping. I say go for it, and pay extra attention the last days.

I have hatched many different bantam breeds (including serama, d'Anvers, bantam polish, silkies, Pekin Bantam, rosecomb bantams, sebrights, dutch bantams, Japanese, booted bantams and more) over several years using broodies and incubators and I have NEVER had a chick hatch out at day 19. I would say 90% hatch out on day 21 with a few on day 20 and the occasional straggler early day 22.

I can't view the photo but I've successfully hatched slightly elongated eggs before

x2.

Just this spring, I had a bantam cross hen hatch out seven full-sized eggs on day nineteen. Never had it happen before. Bantams, like all other chickens I've had, usually pip on the night of day twenty and hatch early day twenty-one (I set eggs at night.) There's actually very little variation, usually.

I have had to assist elongated eggs, but they usually do hatch just fine on their own--one of my OEGbs consistently lays them.

Most of my bantam eggs have hatched on day 20-21. What I do now with both bantams and standard sized is I do my final candling on day 17 instead of day 18 and if the development seems farther along I go ahead and put them on lockdown a day early. Even if they don't hatch until day 20-21 putting them on lockdown a day early won't hurt anything. Good luck with your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom