Do all bantam eggs hatch at 19 days, or only certain breeds?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FowlWitch, Jul 16, 2019.

1. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    I just set dutch bantams, silkie bantams, and barnyard mix bantams (From the seller: bantam Cochin, bantam black frizzled Silkie, bantam blue smooth Silkie, bantam blue Old English Game hen, bantam Quail Belgian Bearded D'Anver, bantam crested barred Cochin mix). Should I plan for a 19 day incubation or a typical 21 day incubation?

I also have a second question related to this batch of eggs. Has anybody ever hatched a healthy chick from an elongated egg?

Edit: pic of egg
    View attachment 1846504

the cluck juggler likes this.
  2. the cluck juggler

the cluck juggler Incubator Addict

Jun 12, 2017
    Scandinavia
    Incubation length has to do with size, so if the eggs have roughly the same size, they'll hatch at the same time. Bantam sized eggs will usually hatch day 19 or 20 with correct temps. If you have some that are a lot bigger, you can set them a day ahead of the others and vice versa.

As for the elongated egg, I can't view your picture but generally speaking, any misshapen eggs will be difficult for the chick to hatch from, so it's a good chance it'll need assistance after internal pipping. I say go for it, and pay extra attention the last days.

BirdsBeesTrees and FowlWitch like this.
  3. Keeperofmunchkins

Keeperofmunchkins Songster

Nov 5, 2018
    Birmingham UK
    I have hatched many different bantam breeds (including serama, d'Anvers, bantam polish, silkies, Pekin Bantam, rosecomb bantams, sebrights, dutch bantams, Japanese, booted bantams and more) over several years using broodies and incubators and I have NEVER had a chick hatch out at day 19. I would say 90% hatch out on day 21 with a few on day 20 and the occasional straggler early day 22.

I can't view the photo but I've successfully hatched slightly elongated eggs before

4. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    x2.

Just this spring, I had a bantam cross hen hatch out seven full-sized eggs on day nineteen. Never had it happen before. Bantams, like all other chickens I've had, usually pip on the night of day twenty and hatch early day twenty-one (I set eggs at night.) There's actually very little variation, usually.

I have had to assist elongated eggs, but they usually do hatch just fine on their own--one of my OEGbs consistently lays them.

5. CluckNDoodle

CluckNDoodle Crowing

Jan 12, 2019
    Georgia
    Most of my bantam eggs have hatched on day 20-21. What I do now with both bantams and standard sized is I do my final candling on day 17 instead of day 18 and if the development seems farther along I go ahead and put them on lockdown a day early. Even if they don't hatch until day 20-21 putting them on lockdown a day early won't hurt anything. Good luck with your hatch!

6. FowlWitch

FowlWitch Songster

Jun 11, 2019
    California
    Thanks for the help, everybody!

7. BirdsBeesTrees

BirdsBeesTrees Crowing

Mar 10, 2019
    Iowa
    I'm hatching bantam chicks right now! Out of 18 only 2 have hatched and today is day 20. Tomorrow at noon will be day 21. My temps were right on 99.7. :)

FowlWitch and CluckNDoodle like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: