Do all chickens roost or perch? Male and female?

Stonelakemomma3

Songster
5 Years
Jul 21, 2018
88462731-90F5-4328-B5BE-DD17BB35476D.jpeg
I have a 4 week old Swedish isbar that I’m dying to find out the sex! S/he is always perched up on the little stand and I’m curious if it’s a sign of it being a hen or rooster? Sorry the pen looks dirty reguardless of the fact that it was just cleaned an hour ago

All chickens roost, unless they are a breed that has flight limitations. At four weeks old that's a pretty pronounced comb already, so for now I'm going with cockerel.

All chickens roost, unless they are a breed that has flight limitations. At four weeks old that's a pretty pronounced comb already, so for now I'm going with cockerel.
Do you know if there is a way to encourage them to roost? Or do light sussex have flight limitations coz they are a rather big bird 😂
One does roost, the rest refuse to despite multiple perches in different diameters, both rough thick branches and smooth.
So annoying esp in show season they are so hard to keep clean 🙄

Do you know if there is a way to encourage them to roost? Or do light sussex have flight limitations coz they are a rather big bird 😂
One does roost, the rest refuse to despite multiple perches in different diameters, both rough thick branches and smooth.
So annoying esp in show season they are so hard to keep clean 🙄
Light Sussex shouldn't have any difficulty, mine are quite good flyers. Have you tried lifting them up in the evening when it dark?

Light Sussex shouldn't have any difficulty, mine are quite good flyers. Have you tried lifting them up in the evening when it dark?
Yes for 2 weeks every night from 6-8 weeks old when they were put in the coop, now they are layers and sooo lazy 😂 the cockeral won't even roost he prefers the ground too!

Back
Top Bottom