do all roosters have spurs

Great for the kids to see the cycle of life on a farm and hopefully not grow up into folks who'll reject anything from a farm directly, then go to a fast food joint and eat meat byproducts that don't even look like meat, because they have no clue. How many people say 'I wouldn't eat that!' --- referring to some healthily and ethically produced and processed animal product --- then chow down on something that suffered and has been adulterated into something unhealthy!

Shame about the rooster not turning out like he should have, but on the bright side some good rooster will maybe now find himself a home, if you replace your bully-boy. Best wishes.

Shame about the rooster not turning out like he should have, but on the bright side some good rooster will maybe now find himself a home, if you replace your bully-boy. Best wishes.
This is a great way to think of it! So many good roosters are culled every day just because people can't keep them all. You'll be saving a life!

I have several other good roosters that love me and the kids and they are not scared of them. However, I have to wait till my husband gets home to cull my bad boy. He was raised on a chicken farm. I was raised in the city!!! Will be my first!! Lol

Hope it goes well and is not traumatic for you, him, or the rooster. I separate them overnight into another cage so I don't have to try to track them down from freeranging with the flock. This way, their last day was spent relaxed and at peace, doing what chickens do. Of course violent ones don't get that chance but most culls have been for genetic issues or other nonviolent issues, and of course I do pre-emptively cull if I see signs I've seen lead to negative behavior. Culling, not breeding, the violent roosters has been probably the number one thing that's led to not having to cull for violence. It might not be the happiest thing to do but it's necessary and inherent in good animal husbandry. Best wishes to you all.

How common is rooster aggression? I've been researching rooster spurs (removal,trimming etc) and came across this thread and it has me wondering whether I want a rooster at all. I have a fairly large batch of unsexed chicks so chances are I have a rooster or two and I was going to keep one but now I'm not sure. I also have young children and we are going on our second year with chickens so I'm still learning a lot.

Rooster aggression is a luck of the draw kind of thing when it comes to hatchery birds. If you buy chicks from a breeder that only keeps calm and gentle roosters in their breeding program, odds of a nice boy are much better.

I have young kids. Our rooster is a gentleman (he got his feathers kicked by my hens when he first came in but only put as much force as needed to not be bullied again).
This thread makes sense as to why my other roosters are not having issues. Free ranging my flock divides into small groups. My two younger roosters are bigger than my fist but I've not seen a bit of fighting.
One question I did have was with the Spurs. My oldest rooster has only one spur because the previous owner said it fell off. He wasn't liked at his last home and he didn't like the dogs / the dogs didn't like him. Once a spur is gone it won't grow back right?
Once again thanks for this thread and the thoughts about roosters. I was always curious what made roosters mean but this makes sense. My rooster runs from me and doesn't want to be held. I like it cos he respects my space!
It's not only roosters u have to train to be kind. If I would wear flip flops my hens would think my toes r worms. Any pecking I had to push them away and have my kids do the same. They learned quick we were the masters.

Thank you. I bought my chickens locally and their rooster was very nice. I'll see how it goes. I guess I won't know for a few more weeks if we even have to worry about it. :)

@907mommy I agree with what junebuggena said. Provided the breeder selects for temperament as well as other traits you can get good chooks from them; hatcheries don't tend to do much selection for temperament it seems. I'm sure some would though.

@BlessedCountry6 his spur would regrow if falling off is all it did. They can be torn off or cut off or cooked off (hot potato method for example) and they will always regrow as long as the growth disc or follicle remains. If it was chopped off flat with the skin of his leg, it won't regrow. A spur that's been ripped off or removed by the means I listed normally leaves a pale, soft lump about the size and shape of a rose thorn, but thicker. This quickly regrows its hard covering and a new spur regrows. Unless that soft, short spur was damaged or removed, that is.

Best wishes.

@907mommy
I agree with what junebuggena said. Provided the breeder selects for temperament as well as other traits you can get good chooks from them; hatcheries don't tend to do much selection for temperament it seems. I'm sure some would though.

@BlessedCountry6
his spur would regrow if falling off is all it did. They can be torn off or cut off or cooked off (hot potato method for example) and they will always regrow as long as the growth disc or follicle remains. If it was chopped off flat with the skin of his leg, it won't regrow. A spur that's been ripped off or removed by the means I listed normally leaves a pale, soft lump about the size and shape of a rose thorn, but thicker. This quickly regrows its hard covering and a new spur regrows. Unless that soft, short spur was damaged or removed, that is.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the info. I haven't noticed a bump of any kind on his missing spur leg and we have had him for 4 to 6 months. I will look at him tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom