Do any home processing people have an indoor set up?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DanIndiana, Mar 9, 2012.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Just wondering. I've always done it outside, which I like, but it sure would be nice to keep everything set up all the time. Set-up and tear-down are the most time consuming parts of processing for me. It seems like the mess indoors would be too much to deal with.
    Thanks

2. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I don't yet, but plan to build something. I have the concrete poured and the lumber sitting there. To start, I am going to build a pole barn type shelter that is 10'x12'. It will be open initially, but as I get the money I am going to close off the sides. I'd like to make it where I can have solid sides for colder weather and screened panels for when it's warm. I agree about setting-up/tearing down being so time consuming.

3. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    That's a nice plan. I never thought about building the roof shelter first. I think I could get that past the wife's budget, even. I really like the flexibility also. I'm thinking I would do very similar, except instead of screened panels, just really big windows to get a good cross wind and still have total winter protection. That's probably what you're describing.
    Thanks alot

4. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I do the killing in the garage, the scalding, plucking, evicerating and packing in my kitchen, but I only do about 3-12 at a time. I usually span my processing over a few days/week though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by