Do any of my breeds have any chance of going broody???

Kelly G

Crowing
16 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Tampa (Wesley Chapel), Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I have: 8 Plymouth Rocks (I know - seldom broody)
10 Wyandottes
10 RIR
3 Ameraucana (sp?)
2 Buff Orpingtons

The reason I'm asking is because I'd like some Speckled Sussex, White Crested Black Polish, Mottled Houdans, and some Columbian Rocks...and I do not have (or want) an incubator.

Is there any chance with any of these birds?

I've seen one barred rock go broody in my days.
Had a partridge rock go broody.

I hear stories of some Wyandottes that will go broody.

BO's go broody every now and again.

EEs... it's the luck of the draw.

Good luck.

I have had 1 BO, 1 BR, and 1 RIR all go broody. All my girls were at least 2 years old before they did though, maybe that is why people don't think they go broody.
hu.gif

I had 2 of my three partridge rocks go broody thid year, at the same time, and now they are sharing the babies.
smile.png

On the other hand, we had 10 or so BOs, two different times, and out of all of them and a total of about 7 years we only had one go broody one time.

My friend has australorps, BOs, EEs and several others, and no broodies yet. But she doesnt have a great setup for them.

I also had a cochin go broody TWICE this year. I have DEEP nest boxes, on the ground, (chickens are really ground nesters) and they are about 15 x15x 20". Big enough to be roomy, and I left several marked eggs in there all the time, to encourage them.

I dont know if all of that helped or not, but my friend has around 25 hens of the same age, and she has 0 broodies, and I have 7 hens, and so far 4 batches hatched.
hu.gif

The buff orps have a higher chance of going broody, but any of the other breeds you have could go broody too, but that just depends on chance. maybe you could buy or borrow a silkie to do some hatching?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom