do any of these geese look “dumped”?

Jenbirdee

Expecting Miracles
Premium Feather Member
Aug 9, 2020
Maryland
My daughter took this picture in Richmond, Virginia and there are some white geese one has a black spot on their head. Are these actually supposed to be wild geese that fly south or do you think they were dumped? the others look like Canadians and mallard ducks I know those are fine

Attachments

• E840D2F0-4A23-4D8C-A699-BC1F0FDBEDA3.jpeg
    E840D2F0-4A23-4D8C-A699-BC1F0FDBEDA3.jpeg
    391.4 KB · Views: 45
It’s a mixture of domestics, wild, and hybrids.
The white geese look too large to be snow geese, snow geese also have black wing tips as do ross’s geese which are even smaller than snow geese. I think the only true wild ones are the Canada geese. Those circled in blue look like Canada greylag/domestic hybrids too.

It’s a mixture of domestics, wild, and hybrids.
The white geese look too large to be snow geese, snow geese also have black wing tips as do ross’s geese which are even smaller than snow geese. I think the only true wild ones are the Canada geese. Those circled in blue look like Canada greylag/domestic hybrids too.
Do you think they can happily and healthily live there all winter in Richmond Va? (The ones who cant fly away)
I can call wildlife rescue down there but I dont know if they will do anything but at least I can try Its 4 hours away from me and Im having surgery soon and cant travel

Do you think they can happily and healthily live there all winter in Richmond Va? (The ones who cant fly away)
I can call wildlife rescue down there but I dont know if they will do anything but at least I can try Its 4 hours away from me and Im having surgery soon and cant travel
They have probably been there for a while, they've had hybrid offspring with the Canada geese. I don't think they're a recent dump, and there's a lot of park ponds where domestic geese will live year-round. It is a nice thought, but I don't know if there's anything that can be done. I take care of a group of dumped domestics at a pond near me, our volunteer group built a pen and we feed them but they do well on their own in other regards.

They have probably been there for a while, they've had hybrid offspring with the Canada geese. I don't think they're a recent dump, and there's a lot of park ponds where domestic geese will live year-round. It is a nice thought, but I don't know if there's anything that can be done. I take care of a group of dumped domestics at a pond near me, our volunteer group built a pen and we feed them but they do well on their own in other regards.
ok thanks thats good to know.

Back
Top Bottom