Do any of you not lock your chickens up?

Now I close the pop door..... regretably.

All summer I left it open. Their 'coops' have secure attached runs, but when I move coops and runs to ground that is less than level, I sometimes think that a critter could tunnel in. One day, I left and forgot to even enclose them in the run---and that could have been awful but wasn't.

I saw raccoon tracks over the run-shade of one of my runs---little muddy raccoon prints. One evening a Great Horned Owl swooped next to the yard and got something instantly---I think a small rabbit, maybe a big rat? - It flew off before I could make positive ID of the prey. Sooooo no more risk for the chickens. I know that the owls have set up housekeeping pretty near by. Hopefully they are patrolling any rodents that are attracted to the spilled chicken feed and scratch that gets left behind.

It is difficult to be there when the chooks mosey into their coop to close the door around sunset, and be there at dawn so they get max time in their run....but it would be more difficlut by far to deal with any predator getting them.

I also have night-lighting deterrant 'solar night eyes' -- And I know for a fact they have kept away some critters. I'm not sure if Mr. Raccoon (Ms. Raccoon) left prints in the day or night--- so I am erring way on the side of caution both day and night....

Nope, we do. They have a coop with an attached run. Even though I feel the run is secure enough, can't take that chance. I do have my beagle on watch at night nearby and she's doing a great job and keeping things away.

I don't, but then again, we don't have too many predators around here.
frow.gif

I do lock mine up if not for theirs, my peace of mind. They are my responsibility to look after so I handle that chore my way. I lock them in and they don't seem to mind at all. At 7:00 in the morning they come out and stay out roaming all day till about 7:00 at night. They willingly go in at night so I say they don't mind and I feel better.

Works here.

Last edited:
my chicken run is preditor proof.. so far anyway.. so they are locked in the run at night...not in the coop.. unless it's really cold, sometimes then I will lock them in

We have to because we have lost 2 lots of chickens to a fox, and as soon as the fox tracks down your chickens he will be a frequent visitor. We still have breif sitings of the fox under our trampoline and at the end of our garden. They are smarter than you think, so be aware of the dangers of not locking up your chickens.
jumpy.gif

Ben says, "Don't bother to lock up....I'm on it." As with all things, there are ways to keep chickens secure and there are still MORE ways to do so. I trust the dogs more than I trust a coop to keep out a predator.

I leave their pop door open to the run but close up the run. It feels rather safe because I have the whole run and coop surrounded in a ring of electric poultry netting. So far nothing has breached the netting.

Back
Top Bottom