Do Bielefelders often succumb to obesity?

Red Horse

Songster
May 16, 2022
Any Bielefelder owners have trouble with weight-related health issues in this breed? It seems like they make good meat birds and are rumored to lay well also, but I read that they eat a ton and I have yet to see someone say they've kept them for eggs and had them a long time. I'm looking at getting some from Meyer to add to a layer flock in the spring... I love my fluffy dual-purpose breeds and these ladies are so pretty!

I wonder if people who are saying this are not used to the feed requirements of true dual purpose birds (typically growing twice as big as hatchery birds) and needing more protein. Of course they will eat more.
Just don’t feed many treats.

I stick to free choice flock raiser and treats a couple times a week (leafy greens and lower sugar fruits like apples), plus whatever they find on their own. So I'm absolutely adding these to my flock!!!!

I have a roo and 3 ladies that are just a bit over 3 years old. They did take longer to come into lay, about 8 months, but they were growing. They don't lay as much as dedicated egg layers, but they are quite regal and will be a nice addition to a mixed flock. The above advice about holding off on treats is wise, but that goes for any pet bird so they don't get fatty liver disease. Bielefelders are not more prone to obesity than other breeds. :)

Any Bielefelder owners have trouble with weight-related health issues in this breed? It seems like they make good meat birds and are rumored to lay well also, but I read that they eat a ton and I have yet to see someone say they've kept them for eggs and had them a long time. I'm looking at getting some from Meyer to add to a layer flock in the spring... I love my fluffy dual-purpose breeds and these ladies are so pretty!
I haven't had weight issues with them, and they don't seem to eat any more than my Orpingtons eat. They are good layers of medium to large light brown eggs. They are gentle birds, and broody if given the chance. I have found though that they need to be isolated when sitting on a nest because other more dominant birds can chase them off their nest.

Back
Top Bottom