do birds of prey kill full grown ducks?

as for identifying the birds over head. the ones that look like Vultures mostly are. they should have a red head and gray wing edges. the immature eagles with have a bigger black head and a lot less color on the bottom of its wings. where I live we have a nesting pair about 2 miles north of me. I see them from time to time riding the air currents. as for the white head feathers on eagles they don't start coming in till they are 4 years old.

Yes. Ducks are at risk. Last year I lost two Roman Tufted female geese to a hunting/breeding pair of Bald Eagles. Two in one day. I've also lost large fowl laying hens to hawks/owls. Keep in mind Owls can be active during the day esp mid morning hours. I also agree with a previous posting of them being un-afraid of humans - the birds of prey we have around here - show NO fear of humans what so ever

Joni

Yes, is the answer. You should provide protection of some kind. Dogs work well for me but I have lost one in the past to a Red Tail Hawk.

Quote:
Hi
frow.gif

I live in New Haven county CT and the Red Tails are constantly trying to pick off my ducklings. So, beware yes pred's will take them out
sad.png

Good Luck

This was sitting in one of my trees right above my quail and pheasant pens (roofed runs). NOT EVEN five feet away from me. I was in the runs going about my chores feeding and watering and realized the birds were really quiet and not as spazzy as they usually are. I walked out of the pens looking to see if maybe one of the cats was around scaring the birds. I was looking all over the ground wondering what the heck was going on and I happened to see one of the pheasants in the opposite runs looking up in the tree. I must have walked by this bird three times and did not even realize he was there. I ran inside to get my camera real quick before he flew away but I was running for nothing. That bird must have stayed in that tree not even five feet above my head for a good 10 mins. with me walking back and forth and taking pics. So NO, flighted predators are NOT afraid of humans and this guy was big enough to give my ducks a run for their money!

16250_100_7180.jpg

I think it totally depends on the individual predator, and prey. We live in the country, and the resident great horned owl that lives here will take anything mallard sized or smaller. Anything larger, he doesn't bother. The few hawks that visit won't even take a duckling. Better to be safe than sorry, you could end up with the bold ones.

there is a red tail that sits on a railing on my terrace (city apt) that looks 3 feet tall, when I see it I rush it with a broom and it doesnt even move. it just stares. I am finding remains, feathers of bluejays, mockingbirds and woodpeckers, a large brown shell, regurgitated bones and enormous droppings. we are infested with killer birds. if you scan youtube you will find a recent video of a perigrine drowning a white face ibis, while a class of students brought to witness this rather rare bird watches this most unfortunate turn of events in the marshland.

the first killer bird attack I witnessed was wintertime near a pond with people around, the redtail had a female mallard on the ground and pulling feathers from her body proceeded to eat it right there. they never miss, they are killing machines particularly wintertime when no cover exists. the most recent I witnessed was a juvenile redtail killed a squirrel a baby and wasnt interested in eating it just played with it as my dog found the scene, it sat on low branch disinterested. one remarkable time a few summers ago with scores of people in our local park, right in front of me a young couple walking were amazed to see a predator bird swoop down and grab a robin, part of a group of robins on the ground right in front of us, you could feel the rush of air as this huge creature flew down, the rest of the robin grouping went totally beserk. woodpeckers sadly will become near exinct as wintertime they do not migrate so the bit of protection summertime foliage provides will be gone in fall as the numbers of perigrines, sharpshinned, redtails etc. skyrocket.

by the way, predator birds were re-established in cities around the country over the past 30 years and they are back with a vengeance spreading to suburbs, back yards, parklands, wetlands (you must see the perigrine/ibis kill). watch your critters.

Beth G. :

Quote:
Hi
frow.gif

I live in New Haven county CT and the Red Tails are constantly trying to pick off my ducklings. So, beware yes pred's will take them out
sad.png

Good Luck

I'm in Middlesex county CT and there is a Redtailed Hawk who is always checking out my backyard.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom