Do black east indie eggs look like cayuga?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AuberyMirkwood, Jan 9, 2012.

1. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Just read a discription that seemed similar. I was considering getting cayugas this spring for the black/grey eggs but if the indies lay the same color in a smaller package that would be perfect! Does anyone have pictures?[​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Black east indie eggs:

[​IMG]

3. AuberyMirkwood

AuberyMirkwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Clovis NM
    Thank you! [​IMG] looks about the same to me.

Does anyone own both and would take comparison picture me? [​IMG]

4. JessicaRichens

JessicaRichens Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016

Thank you for posting this! I can't decide if I want Cayugas or Black East Indies. I've been wondering what their eggs look like.

5. JessicaRichens

JessicaRichens Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016
    Does anyone else have photos of Cayuga and/or Black East Indie eggs? I am curious to see more if you don't mind posting them.

6. AnjKar n Ducks

AnjKar n Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

These are Cayuga eggs and comparing them to East Indies they have more of a greenish color. The only time u can get a black egg is at the beginning of the laying season and the black eggs are rare.

7. PINOAK RIDGE

PINOAK RIDGE Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2016
    Tennessee
    Cayugas and Black East Indies (BEI) are both black ducks with metallic green sheen. The Cayuga is a large duck breed and BEI are bantams. We've raised both breeds in the past & still have BEI. The color of the eggs we've had were basically the same. Both start out black and as the number of eggs laid increases, the egg's color decreases. They go from black, dark grey, greenish grey, to a pale grey/white color. Just like egg shape, coloring can vary from female to female.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by