Do black feet always equal Australorp?

akcskye

Songster
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
I am trying to figure out which of my ladies are the mother(s) to my pullets.

I have one, who we thought was a SLW/BO cross, because of the feathers appearing the same as the SLW, but Gold laced instead of silver...however, she has that green sheen on her black feathers, and has HUGE black feet.

She is the largest pullet in my flock (pullets AND hens)...her head easily meets my knee.

Her face is identical to my Australorp Bright Eyes, even though I know you probably can't tell by the face.

Also, one of my yellow hens, Black Foot...well, guess where she got her name. She is yellow with black feet. So, is she possibly Australorp/BO?

Then, I have Red Riding Hood and Annie...both are quite red...probably RIR and BO?

It's weird...of my six pullets that hatched in June...I have what looks like a set of twins, a set of triplets, then Goldie (the one I mentioned first).

Any thoughts?

My flock at the time was a RIR, Light Brahma, SLW, and 2 Australorps, and the BO, the one I'm sure of, was from the Roo.

Last edited:
If your hen has black feet and only one of it's parent's does, then by deduction, it is probably that parents kid. There are multiple breeds with black/dark feet so if you just got random birds with no past, you can't assume black feed is austroalop. All you can do is make guesses.

So, most likely, black foot and goldie are from Australorp then?

My SLW doesn't have black feet, and has a rose comb.

Goldie has black feet and a regular comb.

The father, the BO, didn't have black feet either and a regular comb.

Actually, the Australorps are the only ones in my flock with black feet.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Silkies also have black feet, along with black skin, wattles, combs etc.

I don't know though if they retain the black skin when mixed. A mixed silkie often won't have the fluffy feathers. I have one that is a polish/silkie mix chick that is visually mostly silkie, but has white spots on his feet, one white foot feather and no comb....Those are the only clues that tells me she is Ringo's kid.

So I really don't know if it's a possibility for your chickens, but it is another breed that is known to have black feet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom