1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do BR pullets get noisier as they get close to laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Carrie Lynn, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    I've noticed one of my two BR pullets is more vocal this week and wonder if they get noisier as they reach POL.
    She seems to be a little more excitable too....

Thanks in advance,
    Carrie Lynn

Last edited: Dec 24, 2011
  2. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Some do some don't. I have 4 barred rocks and only one is noisy. I'd look at her comb and wattles for a bright red color thats a better indication of getting ready to lay. Some of my girls sing the egg song before laying some after and some never do. Oh and of my br girls they all started to lay 20 to 23 weeks. Waiting is hard but trust me it will happen.

3. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Mine did, but I don't know that that's the norm so much as just how she rolled. [​IMG]

4. tlagnhoj

tlagnhoj Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2010
    Indy
    That's how I knew to check for an egg that first day. The clucking and calling was louder and more insistent tan the normal yard communication.

5. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    each of my girls are different I have a couple that " talk" and garble before ( non of mine do a egg song after laying) now if someone is in the nest box and another girl is ready.. there is squawking loud squawking.. and if the hen doesnt move out.. the one ready and squawking will go into the box and push her out.. then all is quiet..

6. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    My BO are my screamers, they fuss before, if someone is on the nest box they want to use. And they are worse after they lay, squawking & screaming, which makes my roo do some squawking along with her.

7. littleflocker

littleflocker Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2011
    Island County WA
    If that is your hen in your avatar she looks like she is getting ready by her bright red comb and wattles. I noticed all my hens got more vocal as all of them got closer to laying. My RIRs always sing before they leave their egg in the box but the others seem like they will only sometimes. It seems like when there is a hen in the box the others outside are talking alot in anticipation for some action! It is safe to call it gossip! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by