Do broodies work beter than bators??? Help!

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
I have always wanted to hatch some duck eggs but that means I have to buy a bator And I dont want to buy that if my ducks will do that there selves. I have 4 rouens 1 female 3 males and one ancona female and one khaki male and a pair of call ducks, the calls are three months old, and the others are five. and the five month olds just started breeding. Does that mean they will lay eggs then? I also have 4 welsh harlequins and and two rouen females on the way As you can see I need more ladies. But what im trying to do is sell ducklings to my local feed stores for some money, will my ducks hatch enough babys to make it worth my while? Or should I save some money for a incubator? Help me!!!

Broodies are much better, ofcourse, I do like having a bator handy for backup. So far I have not needed the backup as my girls stay with it all the way.

First time mommies can be unpredictable as they are learning to trust their mom instincts.

Is it true that ducky moms will sit on them half way and then stop? Is that what the back up is for?

Ive had a duck sit 12 eggs and hatch 2.. then run off and leave their babies hauling ducky behind trying to catch up.. horrible momma! (she ended up losing both cause she wouldnt care for them).. the most any of mine have hatched is 5 and even at that they only had 2 survive..
Yet I've put a dozen duck eggs in my bator and had 100% hatch rate.. and had all live to adulthood... so my vote is for the incubator

Not just ducks, but any broody can decide to give it up. I have had chickens do it, and yes, that is why it is handy to have the incubator- so that you can finish what they start. As she said, first timers can be unpredictable.

K thats good. I just ordered a incubator and bided on some khaki campbell eggs on ebay they should be here by the end of the month. I cant wait!

it depends on the broody and it depends on the bator...
old.gif

Well its not like im not going to let my ducks try. of course I will, but I have always wanted some khakis, and I kinda wanted a bator just in case, and I didnt really want to buy ducklings so im getting a bator and eggs.

Back
Top Bottom