Do Buff Orpingtons Ever Have Feathered Legs?

BrookCideMurder

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2015
I have 4 buff hens, I have been looking for a rooster.
Found one on CL, seems legit and healthy except it has feathered legs. Supposedly bought from McMurray Hatchery, Approx 1 year old and looks good ecxept feathered legs.
Also, isnt $20 a little much for a rooster?

Please let me know, I want to breed full blood Buff Orpingtons and do not wish to purchase if the feathered legs indicate a mixed breed. Please let me know ASAP if you read this and have any info.

THANK YOU

Edited by Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
a pure bred BO should not have feathered legs...that is totally an indicator of something else mixed in possibly a cochin or something. For a purebred $20 seem fine, but not for a mix. I am not an expert on the breed, but have been keeping chickens for many years, and kept many orpingtons and never seen a feathered ones.

he is beautiful bird...id still say he is possibly a buff orpington maybe buff cochin mix. oh, and because they are from mcmurray they are hatchery quality, and not at all worth what they are asking. 30-40 is a good price for a purebred bird, not a hatchery one.

Last edited:
X2 on cityfarmer12; Buff Orpingtons do not have feathered legs. If the bird in question is actually from Murray McMurray and resembles a Buff Orpington otherwise, but has feathered legs, it is in all likelihood a Buff Cochin.

Cityfarmer12 and MIchael Oshay Thank you very much for taking the time to respond and I agree with and appreciate your answers.

Back
Top Bottom