Do Buff Orpingtons just lay one egg a day???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Willow's Meadow, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    I thought I heard Buff Orpingtons lay just one egg a day. But I went in the coop today and one of the Buff Orpingtons was standing right over 3 eggs and two were cold and one was warm. I guess a different chicken could have laid the others and then she laid one right in the same spot. But I was just wondering if Buff Orpingtons lay just one egg a day???

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    ALL chickens lay at the most, one egg a day. [​IMG]

3. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

Yes, it is imposable for one chicken to lay more than one egg a day because it takes proximately 24 hours for a hen/pullet to make an egg. [​IMG]

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    Quote:I wouldn't call it impossible...many people have had chickens mysteriously manage to produce more than one a day but it is extremely rare.

5. One a day is a good day.

And if you have an orpington that can lay three a day, I have a new name for your breed.......Super Chicken.

Wishing you the best. And yes, the other two eggs were from days previous or from other chickens.

I had a chicken that layed two eggs in one day but the second egg was not formed right.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Generally all chickens lay no more than one egg a day; however, on very long days if a hen's cycle becomes somewhat skewed there is the outside chance that two eggs might be laid in the same 24 hour period. This would be followed by a skipped day for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by