Do button quail chicks need grit?

ButtonBag

Songster
Jun 23, 2020
London, UK
My button chicks are about 1 week old now, they've been eating turkey starter and boiled egg so far. Today I've changed their bedding to pine shavings, and started giving them small amounts of finely ground mealworm (in an attempt to bribe them to not be terrified of me). I've noticed a few of them eating little bits of bedding, but they're all still eating and drinking their normal food, so I'm not hugely concerned for now.

What I am wondering is: will they need grit at this point to help them with the pieces of bedding and mealworm? Or should I only offer grit once they start eating seeds at a later time? What type of grit is ideal for button quail? Thanks!

My button chicks are about 1 week old now, they've been eating turkey starter and boiled egg so far. Today I've changed their bedding to pine shavings, and started giving them small amounts of finely ground mealworm (in an attempt to bribe them to not be terrified of me). I've noticed a few of them eating little bits of bedding, but they're all still eating and drinking their normal food, so I'm not hugely concerned for now.

What I am wondering is: will they need grit at this point to help them with the pieces of bedding and mealworm? Or should I only offer grit once they start eating seeds at a later time? What type of grit is ideal for button quail? Thanks!
When I had the buttons I gave them parakeet (budgie) grit. Fine sand would work. I offer my small birds scoops of dirt and gravel or sod, I find this the best of all and the most attractive to the quail. And loads of fun to watch. With the regular grit the quail pretty much ignored it.

In general mealworms aren’t the best. My friend had a male quail who tried to eat it’s chicks feet because he thought that they were mealworms! 😝

Wow poor chicks 🤣

I was grinding up just a small amount the mealworm so they wouldn't be confused with their toes, mostly in an attempt to stop them being terrified of me every time I put my hand in the brooder! But if it's better to wait a few more weeks to give any treats then that's fine, I'll stick to starter crumb. I've been supplementing the food with a little boiled egg for protein which they love.

I'm just wondering if they are eating little bits of pine shaving, will it cause them problems without any grit to help? Or should they be able to pass it fine as they don't seem to be guzzling it down like their actual food? I'm not sure I'd be able to recognise an impacted crop as I haven't had birds before these.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom