Do button quail molt??? Or did I get bunk buttons...

I am not going to give you heck lol. I wanna get some bobwhites myself lol. But buttons are smaller and I live in a trailer so they "fit" better haha... If I could make it out to Marana aka middle of nowhere Arizona I could get them as chicks for 3 bucks a pop. I just recently discovered quail as pets when my boyfriend got me the buttons for Mother's Day <3
So I am totally in love with them haha!!!

Quote:
I have heard you can keep buttons in a large aquarium inside the house. They do look sooooo cute! But I have never tried them. Bobwhites do need outside space.

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
I have heard you can keep buttons in a large aquarium inside the house. They do look sooooo cute! But I have never tried them. Bobwhites do need outside space.

Oh, and
welcome-byc.gif

Awes ty. Yes I keep them in pairs in large tanks. If we ever get a house or our landlord allows a coop then we will get bobs. But I doubt a coop is in the future here haha... I had been begging for chicken chicks for easter from my bf so I think thats why he got me the buttons. But they were only 10 a pop, the ratty ones I bought were friggen 40 for the pair. I feel ripped off, but they are interesting color mutations... Pied.. I hear they do not breed true, but we will see. I am going to buy an incubator in case they don't get broody next month.

WOW! $40 bucks a pair? I guess being a specialty bird they would cost that much. I have paid 3 times that much for parrots. But if you love to keep them then they are worth it. Bobwhites are not expensive to purchase but require more to keep up. I have a huge aviary setting for my bobs so they can have the freedom instead of cages. If you do get into Bobs, do your homework on their personality, as they fight a lot and dont' get along during breeding season. You should see my aviary, pairs of Bobs are in very large separate cages to keep them from killing each other LOL.
tongue.png

Yeah I already had my tanks and stuff, I pay 10 bucks for the bedding and it lasts me 6mos at a time lol. and the 5lbs bag of feed lasts me at least a month. But yeah I really wanted a proved breeding pair. I really want to try to breed them XD

I have heard they mature at like 6 weeks and are already breeding. Is that how it is? So how long do buttons live if they are breeding so early in life?

Not sure entirely with the males, but females lifespan is typically 18mos but can live longer if taken very good care of. And my 8 week old buttons are already mating
wink.png

Wow, 18 months. Well, take good care of them and good luck with the breeding! I will call you for baby buttons if I all of a sudden get the urge to add MORE birds to my huge flock of chickens, quail and parrots!

-Leyla
smile.png

They last longer than 18 months, usually 5-6 years. I have now given oyster shell straight up in their bedding, they eat it. You can look on my website for more information.

Back
Top Bottom