Do calls have tobe locked up?`

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well once I have the time, money, and land id like to start up my duck hobby again. DUH. Anywho, this time id definantly like to add calls into the mix. But do they have to be in an aviary/ hutch? Or can they be successfully free ranged? I know they are a flighty breed and im not sure how friendly they are but I adore them lol. No, they would not be for show, just for personal enjoyment and maybe some breeding experiments of my own.

So, Call advice? Pictures?

2. KWAK

KWAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2009
    Michigan
    I had some that were free range. never once were in the coop. they did great:)

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Their so tiny I'd be afraid something would be using them for snacks.

4. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I plan on havin larger breeds of duck as well as at least a half dozen geese. Predators are always a factor when owning animals unfortunantly =/

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My call duck pair, Elvis and Priscilla, range freely during the day with the rest of the flock. They mostly hang out with the much larger Cayugas, but they are never off anywhere alone. At night, they trundle right into the coop with everybody else.

They fly REALLY well, unlike the rest of the flock. If predation occurs, I am sure a chicken or Cayuga would get taken before the calls, but even then I doubt the Cayugas or chickens are that much in danger, not with the pair of Toulouse geese on patrol!

6. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    We have 7 calls and 2 large breed ducks who all free range along with the chickens during the day. At night, the ducks go into one pen and the chickens another. The BEI girl loves to fly over the fence and snarf in my garden but she always flies back with the others. The rest of the calls never fly over a few feet off the ground and will eat from my hand. I think if you raise them from babies and take time with them, offering snacks and such they will be pretty tame. None of mine like to be held, but they do like to hang out around me - hoping for goodies. They are the cutest things.[​IMG]

7. AnnaLease

AnnaLease Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2011
    My calls free range. I love em.

8. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Well my Calls don’t free rang but they are so darn cute and very friendly. Plus they make great mothers and take up so lil space and feed!
    This is Angel with her brood
    [​IMG]
    and this is Pip (Grey Drake) Millie (Blue Fawn Duck) and Angel (White Duck)
    [​IMG]

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Because of their size they are particularly vulnerable to aerial predators.

10. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    My aunt loves Calls, We have 17 Calls that free range on 7 acres... Never had any problems
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by