Do Cats Eat Chickens?

People dump a new cat for us here about ever 6 months. Probably tell their kids that it went to live on a farm. If they only new. Anyway, neither of the last two dumpies showed any interest in the chickens. Unfortunatly, neither of our two dogs are much good at cat control. The Bullterrier won't chase anything that runs faster than a doughnut and the wiener dog is smaller than most cats. We have a cat too, but he just sleeps in the garage and only comes out to annoy me now and then.

Bacchus,
I guess there are all sorts of cats. I live with several cats, all rescues. Outside and inside ferals and strays. I have to protect the cats and their food from the chickens. The chickens don't even hesitate to chase the cats from their food.
Cats only get fed at night when the chickens are locked up.
They're also not afraid of the neighbors dog or the local racoons.

Imp-The hens aren't very popular with their peers

Some will, some will not. Our barn cat Maggie whom just showed up last year sleeps in an unused nest and kills mice/rats. She gets extra food and the chickens like her and sometimes follow her.

Sometimes a feral will come by and I've seen them try to stalk a hen but, that doesn't last long as they are flogged by three large roosters. RIR, BO, Sexlink/BO cross. Surprisingly they know the difference between Maggie and other cats.

Quote:
That is cute! Kitty and chickens living in harmony in a perfect world.
wink.png

Quote:
We get lots of dumped/feral cats (real ones, not someones pet) out here in the country. Our methods are more direct when it comes to livestock harassment. Not everyone is in a position be "direct", or willing to be so. How much do you like your neighbors? Tell them your dog almost got one, no guarantees it won't next time. Take pics of cats "doing their thing" in the garage, show pictures to the neighbors and tell them if they can't control their cats you will be sending them a bill from a sanitation company. Steam sanitation ($) may be the only way to remove the "scent" so cats won't just keep peeing in the garage. You could also catch cat in live trap, then call animal control or take cat and trap to shelter. I can't imagine local ordinances would prevent you from doing that, that is not relocating, that is removing a feral cat from your property in a humane way.

Swamp

i never thought they did until the evil death cat came to eat everyone this past winter!
i think though, since we have 2 dogs now that we are ok for the time being.

Quote:
They charge us for the animals we turn in. Because they have to many. And someone said that if you have the animal control come in and remove a cat, they have it fixed and return it to the neighborhood that they found it in. I have to check to see how true that is.
roll.png

I dont mind catching them humanly at all and I dont mind being direct either (LOL). I used to be a Vet Tech so I do have a love of animals. What annoys me is the irresponsible owner(s) who dont care.

Good Idea about taking pictures. Ive seen them, they are just fast because they know that we will chase/scare them away.

Once I have pictures then I will have to find out who they belong to. That means going door to door, oh well. Im sure I know which direction to go, because they always come a certain way.

UPDATE: Just found this...

There are no leash or license laws on cats and no agency picks up cats. Trapped cats can be taken to the Maricopa County Animal Care and Control shelter at 2630 W. 8th St. in Mesa or the Arizona Humane Society in Phoenix and do involve fees determined by the shelter.

sad.png

Last edited:
Our cats get chased by the hens. Poor kitties were here first and when the hens were just chicks the cats would just sit and watch them-never even tried to eat them. The hens are now the predator!
Here is one of our kitties. So mean
lol.png

16143_pupmkin_002.jpg

Quote:
Ohhhh, so sweet, I love the Tabby color
smile.png
I think it all depends on the cat like others have said. Some have stronger prey drives than others, IMO.

I dont trust any cat unless I know it. You know your kitty and can trust them
big_smile.png
Which is nice.

When I had one of my first chickens (bantam Cochin) it would try to attack my mother's dog. It was the funniest thing. Dog didnt know what to do.

Back
Top Bottom