Do chicken feel shame?

3goodeggs

pays attention sporadically
10 Years
May 22, 2009
North Central Florida
My rooster is going through a difficult molt. He has lost his neck feathers and all of his tail feathers... he looks pretty rough. He is normally the Gregory peck of roosters.
Lately he mopes about and seems...depressed. He appears healthy by all other indicators and he has been wormed. Could he just feel badly about looking bad? I mean, he is a chicken how would he know? Although, I would think that how an animal looks would mean to perspective mates that he's worthy of their eggs. maybe he feels unworthy?
I hope that is all it is. He's the best rooster in the world.I do not want him to be sick. If he doesn't perk up should I assume he's sick and give him meds? This is a tough call.

Last edited:
Oh, I wish your little guy was feeling better...

but I did have to laugh because I immediately thought of chicken shaming, lol!

Wait to see what he is like after the feathers grow back. They often get withdrawn with a heavy molt. Too many new feathers at one time.

My guess is that any behavioral change has more to do with vulnerability. With no, or fewer, feathers he's more susceptible to being picked on. Keeping a low profile helps to not attract attention from those who might pick on him.
On the other hand, maybe he is seeing male pattern balding in his future and isn't happy about it, just his human male counterparts: When he stops looking in the mirror to comb his feathers then he'll have a real problem.

My guess is that any behavioral change has more to do with vulnerability. With no, or fewer, feathers he's more susceptible to being picked on. Keeping a low profile helps to not attract attention from those who might pick on him.
On the other hand, maybe he is seeing male pattern balding in his future and isn't happy about it, just his human male counterparts: When he stops looking in the mirror to comb his feathers then he'll have a real problem.
well as long as he doesn't shave it all off and get an arm band tattoo, I can still love him!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom