Do chicken have good memory?

That is something of interest to me as well. My birds can recognize humans as individuals. So can some fish but that is another matter. Some of my free-range birds I interact with very closely. Those same birds will come when they see me but ignore my wife that never feeds them. I can also call some of the individuals out of flock by name and they will fly up into my hand to eats. This has to be practised periodically otherwise trained birds tend to falter. Previously trained birds are very easy to retrain to same name even after 6 months. They can also recognize each other as individuals and sound may be more important than sight.

Birds you had may be willing to allow close approach more readily than if you did not have have them prior. Memory as chicks does not seem to carry over into adulthood. Still trying to figure that out.

I think they will if you were close to them :) my husband works away for weeks at a time and comes home and the girls recognise daddy and come literally running to him and singing - it is adorable! Then they sulk for a few days as he 'abandoned' them lol.

All of my chickens will run to the door if I step out, they think I always have food for them, but if someone else walks out they ignore them.
I gave a rooster and a hen to my aunt once. I had to reform the rooster before I gave him to her because he was becoming people aggressive. Well I think he remembered me because he gave me a look like 'I thought I got away from you!'
I think the hen was glad to see me because of the bug treats I use to give them (my aunt hates bugs, so no bug treats from her
sad.png
)

Good luck on your visit!
smile.png

A year ago I gave a small flock of layers to a farm friend. I went to visit her ( and the chickens ) six months later and as soon as they saw me and heard my voice, the girls all came running! I was pleasantly surprised because I really had no expectations of them remembering me.

Back
Top Bottom