1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Do chickens adjust to moving there coop?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jduffy, Oct 17, 2010.

1. jduffy

jduffy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    East Bethany, NY
    I had to move my chickens coop today and give them there own pen. I had them in with my Fainting and Nigerian goats. The problem is i have added a couple of Great Pyrenees pups and they made one of my chickens disappear. Will they get used to the new location pretty quick or will they jump fences for a while to get back to the old area? It took me a while to get them in tonight as they kept going back to where it used to be. I use 5 foot horse fence for my goat pens and also for the chickens. There is no pen roof to keep them in but it really wasn't a problem before. They have an 8' x 32' pen now. They are easter egger bantams, 5 hens and 2 roosters.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It would be best to close them in the new area for about a week. That way they learn the new place is home.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

What ddawn said. Emphatically.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by