Do Chickens Bark???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by socalchicks, Nov 16, 2009.

1. socalchicks

socalchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Temecula Valley, CA
    So, I was working in my office this afternoon and had the door open to the backyard. My 3 dogs were hanging out in the shade near the coop. I started hearing a really high pitched bark, like from a really small dog. All my dogs are big with deep barks. But, I kept hearing this weird bark and it was getting louder and more frequent. So I go out to see what the deal is and found my EE, Rizzo, staring at the dogs and making this noise! [​IMG]

She shook her head a little bit with each one, kind of like a sneeze. But I've seen her sneeze before and it was different. She was doing this on purpose!

Are chickens like parrots? Can they copy noises?? [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Wow...maybe she is bi-lingual [​IMG] But seriously...some chickens seem to have quite a variety of vocalizations, why should she not be able to make such a sound and why should she not be able to do it on purpose?? They have sounds to alert each other to threats, treats, etc.

3. alpinefarm

alpinefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Colorado
    Quote:I have an Araucana roo that I've heard bark. He only does a single bark, not repetitive.

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    if it has a long tail 4 legs a wet nose and fur it barks chickens should not bark lol unless its a silkie cause they have fur and look like little dogs

5. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I have a chicken that quacks- she sounds just like a duck Lol! [​IMG]

6. socalchicks

socalchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2009
    Temecula Valley, CA
    I just thought it was so funny because it isn't a natural chicken noise. She was intentionally copying the dogs!

Does this mean I'm going to have to start watching my language around the chickens?! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    None of my chickens bark that I know of, but Steve (my resident Roo) does growl from time to time. And yes it does sound similar to a dog. Probably a Guard Chicken!

8. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    My silkies purr when they go to bed!
    [​IMG]

9. CrazyFish

CrazyFish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2014
    [​IMG] I have a Black Australorp, Martha and a Silver-laced Wyandotte, Jackie-O. Well, today Martha barked. Two barks, which turned into sort of a sneeze. Anyway, no dogs anywhere, so this was pure her. Puzzling. Never heard it before today, and they are a year old. I learn something new about them every day!

10. chickkrzi

chickkrzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2011
    Waco texas
    I have a BR hen that will " barks" once and a while. But she just does it just after eating. I'm thinking she just has to much food in her crop and trying to adjust it? Or gets something caught in her throat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by