Do Chickens Bark???

socalchicks

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 1, 2009
Temecula Valley, CA
So, I was working in my office this afternoon and had the door open to the backyard. My 3 dogs were hanging out in the shade near the coop. I started hearing a really high pitched bark, like from a really small dog. All my dogs are big with deep barks. But, I kept hearing this weird bark and it was getting louder and more frequent. So I go out to see what the deal is and found my EE, Rizzo, staring at the dogs and making this noise!
lol.png

She shook her head a little bit with each one, kind of like a sneeze. But I've seen her sneeze before and it was different. She was doing this on purpose!

Are chickens like parrots? Can they copy noises??
idunno.gif

Wow...maybe she is bi-lingual
lau.gif
But seriously...some chickens seem to have quite a variety of vocalizations, why should she not be able to make such a sound and why should she not be able to do it on purpose?? They have sounds to alert each other to threats, treats, etc.

None of my chickens bark that I know of, but Steve (my resident Roo) does growl from time to time. And yes it does sound similar to a dog. Probably a Guard Chicken!

wee.gif
I have a Black Australorp, Martha and a Silver-laced Wyandotte, Jackie-O. Well, today Martha barked. Two barks, which turned into sort of a sneeze. Anyway, no dogs anywhere, so this was pure her. Puzzling. Never heard it before today, and they are a year old. I learn something new about them every day!

I have a BR hen that will " barks" once and a while. But she just does it just after eating. I'm thinking she just has to much food in her crop and trying to adjust it? Or gets something caught in her throat.

Back
Top Bottom