Do chickens call bedtime??

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
I went out to tuck the kiddos into their house tonight, and they weren't quite ready to go in - so I went inside to get them some food for their jar and let it get a tad darker.

When I came back out, I noticed 2-3 were standing on their ramp, and 2-3 were still out in the run. One of the ones on the ramp started chirping a certain song (different than their usual peep peep peeps) and they all went inside! I'm pretty sure they aren't scared of me and nothing else was going on.

Is it my imagination or does one call all the others in at night??

Oh I believe they do...my busy body SLW starts fussing at everyone when it gets time to go inside. Then she fusses louder to make sure we are out there to get any late comers and close the door. Bossy bit of goods she is.

Chicks do a kind of trilly sound when they start settling down in a brooder. I have had some do the same thing once outside and it starts getting dark.

My 2 best/oldest bantam roosters both call the hens in. Dot does it by crowing as soon as he hits the roost frame. Chitter Butt does a kind of chitter call that is slowly then a come and eat call. Some of the bossy girls linger till they decide for themselves to go to roost. No "man" orders then around.

My big cochin Roo grunts once he gets settled, but that may just be because he is fat.

Matt

Yeah, they will trill at night, and it is different than any other call. A very happy, peaceful sound.
smile.png
smile.png

Good.

I wasn't imagining it.

I thought for a minute I might have totally gone off the deep end (you know how chickens do that to ya)

I'm not sure which one did it, I really wasn't looking that closely. It's one of the non-descript white ones that's boss I think, yet there is a distinct rift the white 3 hang out and the RIR's hang out, so flock dynamics are complicated there might be a boss for each breed
roll.png
I'm just glad that everyone seems happy and nobody's mean.

I am new to chickens and have two 6 week old chicks I keep inside right now until their coop is finished. I have noticed that they both get REALLY LOUD in their chirping when they are ready to go down for the night. Thats when I cover their temp coop with a blanket for them to sleep.

yes, they will call to each other to get in their spots. Last week mine were able to use the Hilton of coops now finished and of course they wouldn't go in. So, they all got put in there and it was so loud as they were telling each other where to sit and yelling at the ones they didn't want to be next to. The next night my two lead hens stood under the coop telling all the other girls to get over there and inside. One by one they came and then were told where to sit and which direction to turn. It was rather amazing. They certainly have a night time call that is very different than other times of days. Then they will produce the most calming twitter once they are settled it is like they are singing each other to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom