Do chickens do best with their own breed or can we mix?

Quote:
That is very true. I have named all my Buff Orpington pullets Buffy since I can't tell em apart
gig.gif

A friend of ours who is an experienced poultry keeper told me that the singletons he's kept over the years have always seemed lonelier than birds who can flock with their own kind.

I like a mixed bouquet of birds. I've found that they seem to cluster according to who they were raised with, who they're accustomed to eating/drinking/sleeping with. When I place a smaller group in a pen with the larger group, they tend to stay most often with each other. As they get used to their new flockmates they will spread out more, but there are times when they still seek out their original bunkies.
Have fun with your birds and
welcome-byc.gif

If you start out with a single breed anything you add will stick out like mad and get picked on. A mixed flock makes no one stick out.

Ive always thought a mixed flock is some much better, gives you some variety.

If i had like 12 light sussex, they would get broeing, but if i had a variety with diffrent personalitys it adds more fun to it, thats what i want to do with my ducks, onyl have a trio of nearly every breed i can find and breed them and sell them, its fun
big_smile.png

Do a variety! I started with silkies & then decided I wanted a mixed flock. I even have a trio of peafowl & pigeons in my flock. The peafowl & pigeons don't buddy up with the chickens, but I don't have anyone getting picked on either.

Back
Top Bottom