Do chickens eat persimmons?

begbfg

Barnyard Beckie
8 Years
Feb 11, 2011
Roxboro, NC
Just curious. We do have muscadines, strawberries and blackberries growing wild everywhere on our farm. We also have mulberry and persimmon trees. Can and do chickens eat most fruits?

Have I confused my fruits, or is persimmons a citrus fruit?

If so it's a no, they shouldn't eat citrus

EDIT: Google search, We call it Sharron fruit...should be fine very healthy too.

Last edited:
Don't have any idea if they should eat them, but they do. Never had any problems with it so far... The tree has only been there about 20 - 30 years though. Might take time to kill 'em.
wink.png

Our's is a wild persimmon too, don't know if that matters or not. They don't really go crazy over them, but they do eat them. Of course, I haven't found many things a chicken WON'T eat.
lau.gif

I have a Fuyu Persimmon tree and when they fall my chickens LOVE eating them. A friend of mine has a Hachiya and my chickens eat that kind too.

Nancy

Quote:
It's not a citrus fruit; it's more like a plum. I don't like them, myself. But if the ladies will eat them, I'll even pick some for them on occassion!
big_smile.png

EVERYTHING likes a ripe persimmon. Once in a while there will be a tree that does not lose its astringency even after the fruit ripens and nothing will eat it, but most do. Those fruit don't stay on the ground long around here.

There's nothing wrong with feeding citrus to poultry. Even if you cut it open for them they won't eat a terrible lot. It's only when there's nothing else to eat and they have to eat a lot of citrus that problems can develop.

Back
Top Bottom