Do chickens eat ticks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by The Lisser, May 17, 2010.

1. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

I've always heard that guineas are good at eating ticks, but will chickens eat them too?

My daughter got a tick bite yesterday - just from the being in the yard, and I'm ready to open a can of whoop-bottom on some ticks! Our chicks are almost big enough to start free-ranging. I'm wondering if they'll get the job done or do I need to get a few guineas?

Thanks!!!
    Melissa

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I am not sure but since I have no ticks in my back yard I would think they are hopefully someone with some more knowledge will chime in soon that would be great to know not sure I could have guineas in town

3. 12GAGirl

12GAGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Well my flock does when I toss them into the run with them now if they do it when they free range I have no clue!

4. M@M@2four

[email protected]@2four Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    USA
    Guineas are the BEST tick eaters out there!!! When we first moved to our house, we were literally coming in with dozens of ticks on us! *shivers* Then somoene had mentioned Guineas and we maybe came in with 5 total all of last spring and summer! They literally eat thousands of ticks!!!

5. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for all your replies! Does anyone keep guinea keets and chicks in a brooder together?

Melissa

6. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    I keep them together and they do just fine...the guineas I raised as keets are laying eggs in the chicken nest boxes....

7. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Yes, I do. I raise the Guineas and Chickens together from hatch to coop. The Guineas as adults fly over the run and spend all day patrolling the property eating bugs. Some Guineas will roost in the coop with the chickens and some roost in the Mulberry trees in the run. I got the Guineas specifically to deal with the ticks and fleas-----they are worth the racket. The Guineas have no luck in raising their own Keets, so I slip Guinea eggs under a broody hen to hatch and raise, although I have also used the incubator. See my BYC page for pics.

8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Yes they do eat them,,, I've caught them sitting next to my little dog Max picking his fur looking for them!

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:Thats cool, didn't know they'd go that far. [​IMG] I just know chickens love all kinds of bugs! [​IMG]

10. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I thought Max was dead,, laying there with a bunch of chickens standing all around him,, turns out he had a couple of bugs crawling on him and the chickens were picking him clean!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by