Do chickens ever lay eggs at night?

Because they are so tiny, a lot of hazards can befall them. My friend lost all of his. Two fell in a bucket and drowned, 1 got trampled to death by a goat, and 3 were killed by dogs. Something happened to the rooster as well-- I think he said a dog got it.

They are susceptible to Marek's disease, very susceptible.

well if i ever see a dog kill one of my chickens or my goats they will end up getting shot because no dog is going to kill and get away with it but yea i have had one drowed but that is the only one i lost knock on wood
and my chickens lay most of the day but on accation they lay at night

I know what you mean, hunter. I couldn't kill a dog, but I would be so mad. In the situation I described, I believe it was the Sebright owner's dog/dogs that killed his chickens, or the dog of a friend of his who was staying there.

I was going to send a rooster up to his farm, but because of his dog(s), I changed my mind. That's just too many losses he has had.

I don't have dogs, and I don't want dogs as long as I have chickens. My cats and chickens get along together fine. But dogs always stir up my chickens and scare them.

we have dogs and cats and they do not bother my chickens or our goats but i would have to get read of them dogs if you wanted to keep chickens there

I was very interested to read everyones thoughts on hens laying during the night. My four girls seem to be picking and choosing when to lay. They have only been laying for three weeks.

The first week soft shells were being laid either during the night or very early in the morning as they would be there at 8 AM. Things settled into a pattern of laying between 10 -11 AM for the next week or so.

Saturday morning I go out at 8 AM to find three eggs (all broken in their nests - which is where they have been wanting to sleep) had been laid during the night.

One hen hadnt laid before so I'm guessing one was hers as it was very soft. Then during the day one egg was laid outside in the coop (broken when we found it).

Yesterday three out of four lay between 11.15 and 11.30 am. We decided that we would put some fairly light coloured shade cloth over part of their coop and also blocked off their nest at night (this was done at 6.30 pm), I go out to check this morning at 7 AM to find two eggs (both broken) had been laid from the perch.

An egg was laid between 10 - 11 AM this morning outside in their coop - I'm wondering if the neighbour starting up their lawn mower may have startled them and they have run outside as one did this the first week of laying when startled?

I'm also wondering if the fact we altered their sleeping arrangements may have upset them?

I know this thread is old, but if I read old threads, surely others do.
When I was young, me and my sister was sent out every morning to collect rows and rows of eggs, for my grandmother, which lead me to believe they laid early every morning. However after growing up and raising my own chickens I now know this is not the case. I realized no one ever went out to collect eggs any other time during the day. Only 6am every morning. So no telling when they were laid. Mine tend to lay whenever they want. I'll go out early and they'd be a couple in nest that's cool to the touch. I'll go back out around 10 to 11 am and there's more, some cool, some warm last check is around 6 to 7 pm when I'm checking feed, water and making sure their all in for the night and usually will find 1 egg. From everything I've learned about hens, they are on their own schedule. Being an egg drops about an hour or so after she lays to start shaping up for the next lay which is about 26 hours after the last lay means no chicken lays at the exact time everyday.

Back
Top Bottom