Do chickens feel love?

Birds definitely show emotion to flock meme era.Had to rir sisters and one day the other died.Soon sent the other hen into depression.

They absolutely experience a chicken version of it. I'm convinced of it and I never used to think they were capable of forming bonds and attachments beyond instinctual ones until recently.

I had a young pullet pass away and before she died I was babying her for a few months. This was a bird that would chirp happily whenever she saw me. I would always chirp back and she'd repeat the rhythm back to me and she'd do this over and over. I never once had a chicken socialize with me like that.

She wasn't in pain, but had mobility issues and was a very happy bird until the last week. Anyway, the day she died it was a really nice day, so I took her outside and gave her a bath and wrapped her in a towel to dry off, it was nice and warm out. She went to sleep and I kept an eye on her while I was stripping posts for the garden, a few feet away. Over the course of several hours I noticed while she slept her breathing was getting slower, I knew she was dying and I sat down beside her. About 10 minutes or so went by, then she opened her eye and looked at me for several seconds, then she slowly closed her eye and she died. If you were there to experience it you'd know for a fact she was saying goodbye.

I like to think they love me. It may be because I’m the one that feeds them but I can barely walk when I go into the pen because they are all around.
Yes. I’ve had a couple that will jump on my lap and sit when I sit outside in the yard.

Sorry if this was in the wrong category. I really find a category for this. Anyway, you know everyone loves thier chickens and think thier eggs are delicious, well THEY ARE, so yeah... But everybody must've gotten to a point wondering if thier chickens love them back.We all love our chickens but yeah, I'm usually thinking they just love me for treats. I could be wrong though. So here are my questions:

1. Can chickens feel comfort when you pet them?

2. Do chickens actually respond back to us humans?

3. Do our chickens love us back?

Please try to answer them all.
D.gif
I think they do know and feel loved. If you take of them and show them affection. I'm sure they'll feel the love.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200904-155147.png
    Screenshot_20200904-155147.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Yes. Chickens love being taken care of. They feel comfortable... They love being petted. They respond to humans. Roosters will chase unwanted humans. If they don't know a person. They can be mean. Under their beak...pet them there. When they make the grrrrr growl gur noise like a bear but rolled and feminine vocals... They can sense danger.

I have a young pullet that I rescued from starvation or death from the other chickens. She couldn’t walk and has a cross beak so she couldn’t eat well. I nursed her for two months with intensive care and when she finally started walking again she is so attached. She follows me around, I feel completely safe taking her places becuase I know she won’t go too far. If I kneel she will sit under me like a chick under a hen. If that isn’t love, I don’t know what is.

They do love us back 😊
I had rescued an ex batt I named her Cookie 😅
She was so scared at first that she kept sitting in coop
Later she started going outside hanging out with neighbour rooster
Whenever other roosters chased her she always hid behind me or near me She trusted me that I would shoo the rooster far away Then I bought a pullet ( So she wont feel lonely )
She died after 2 yrs living with me ( cause of sour crop )

She was so gentle that She didnt peck that pullet chicks rather she would forage with them ( she was the head hen so that pullet let her 😅 )

Now after she had gone
That pullet's daughter Brownie ( 3mo )I saved from mongoose is just like Cookie
She is little blind from one eye ( cause of mongoose 😡😡 )
She does the same
Whenever her sibling peck her she ran to me
Sitting on my lap, jumping on shoulder

They dont love humans for treats
Sitting on laps and following you
Coming to you when scared
Its the trust they have in you and this is how they show love

I think that thats how they show love and care 😄😊
What do you think ??

I had a new thing happen this morning. Sometimes my cockerel doesn't recognize me... or something. He runs up to me, flares his hackles, pecks my feet. I "peck" him back with my fingers. This morning, after that exchange, my alpha pullet ran in between him and me and stared him down.

My chickens are not lap chickens. It takes a special treat to get them to jump up on my lap. One has learned she will get a second treat up there, but if I pet her, it's show over and she jumps down. They will eat from my hand, and if they're in the run when I come in, they always run over to great me. I don't think it's just the hope of treats coming.

I swear the alpha talks to me. When I give treats, she makes a two syllable little half honk-half cluck noise that sounds like "thank you."

I have 6 chickens that will fight to sit on my lap all at the same time. It’s cute they fall off and try to get back on. The higher birds will peck the lower birds but they will not move. My chickens absolutely love me And I love them.

Back
Top Bottom