Do chickens feel pain?

Quote:
Yes, bull riders have to be tough or the other bull riders will make fun of them. Birds in general have to be tough because they live in flocks of cannibals. If you show weakness, your friends will turn on you and kill you and eat you. (Come to think of it, maybe that explains bull riders, too.)

Yes, chickens, like all of us, feel pain. As the person who did the crop surgery, I saw the little hen healthy and I watched her very slow decline from the impacted crop. Was she in pain before surgery? Absolutely! In pain and had withered to almost skin and bones. I am a Vet. Tech. and felt very comfortable in my ability to do this procedure. We moved as swiftly as possible but took the time necessary to make sure the procedure was done thoroughly so as not to have any problems recur. She was then put on anitbiotics. Was it cruel? Yes, but so was NOT doing the surgery. I do not recommend just anyone do a procedure of this kind and thought to myself that if I had not been a vet tech. would I have been able to do this? No, I would never have attemped it. I am not apologizing for having done this, I hope people learned from it. The owner of the hen would never have done this to her if she did not love this little hen dearly and desperately did not want to lose her, and she was losing her. Annie is alive and well and seems no worse for wear. She is eating, pooping, scratching, etc like normal. She would not be here today if the surgery had not been done. We do not have access in our area of a good poultry doctor. I lost a very healthy hen at the vet during a bumblefoot surgery. Anesthesia! She died within seconds of being anesthesized. I have a hen now with bumblefoot that I keep an eye on. I will treat her myself if I think she is troubled with it. So far she is not. Yes, they feel pain but you do what you can for them if you love them. My hens and my friends hens are pets and receive the best at all times.

Quote:
I remember that! How is he doing now?

Hes doing good! I had to re-home him to a lady i work with because my other bigger roos were gonna hurt him.. (even though he thought hes a big tough guy..
lol.png
..)
So, now hes spoiled rotten..he has all his ladies that worship him...
Thanks for asking..
smile.png

Last edited:
And, in response to "people who do this to animals would not have the same procedure done to themselves without pain relief". Castration? NO But to save my life and if death is the result without surgery, YES I would choose a life saving procedure without pain relief.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. Not all vets will see a chicken as 'worth' working on. So a lot of chickens owners will do what they have to do to help their chickens out.

I do think that as more people become chicken owners, there will be more vets willing to work on a chicken.

It all comes down to the owner making a decision about what to do. Are you going to go ahead and put that chicken out of its misery? Or are you going to try and save it?

First of all, I would like to apologize if my post about Annie's surgery angered or offended anyone. That was never my intent. I have had too many tragic losses this year. I was watching Annie deteriorate before my very eyes. I tried everything suggested to clear her crop. Nothing worked. So when Chickensioux volunteered to help us with this surgery, we did it, and Annie thrived, I was ECSTATIC and eager to share our success with fellow BYC'ers.

I NEVER would have attempted this if other BYC'ers and people on other websites hadn't posted about doing it and doing it successfully.... complete with pictures.

As to whether or not Annie felt pain..... you may or may not accept my response and that is ok. But I have dealt with animals all my life. I have walked many through the Valley of the shadow of death. I have seen many creatures in pain. Annie was not one of them. More than once during the surgery, she popped her head out from under the towel and looked at us. Her eyes were bright and she was perky and alert. She did not struggle against us. Can I explain it?? No, I cannot. But Annie was not in great pain. Before the surgery, she was absolutely miserable.

I do not speak from ignorance. I am now dealing with cancer in my body for the fourth time. I've had many surgeries. I've been blasted with radiation that has left me living in pain every day of my life. I am EXTREMELY sensitive to anyone's pain be they human or animal. I have endured many a medical procedure without any pain-numbing anaethesia or medicines. I would NEVER intentionally hurt ANYTHING living (except, possibly the %$#@ weasel that killed my little hen). Talk about a chicken screaming. I heard that AWFUL scream when he badly injured my roo and again when he killed my hen. If Annie had been in pain, I think she could easily have let us know it. As someone pointed out, they squawk when a roo goes after them or another hen pecks them. Annie laid perfectly still. I truly believe she knew we were trying to help her.

I KNOW Annie would have died if we didn't do what we did. Today she is alive and well and outside enjoying a BEAUTIFUL Autumn day.

I know people who have lost cats, dogs, birds, and people to anesthesia. We don't have access to a vet who would do this kind of surgery (that I know of). I couldn't afford it right now anyway. I was VERY, VERY BLESSED to have Chickensioux, a vet tech, willing to help.

Again, I apologize if I offended anyone.

Hope y'all have a GREAT DAY!! If you ask Annie, she'd tell you she sure is.

Quote:
First of all, I am sorry to hear about your health. I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say that we are all thinking about you and hoping for the best. I would say "stay strong," but it's very clear from what you've described that you are more than strong. Please don't apologize for saving the life of Annie. I, for one, am glad you did.

As far as the OP's question goes, of course they feel pain. I was really surprised by the response of people here. First, in terms of animal cruelty, I think I would put my efforts towards criticizing factory farms that absolutely torture chickens, cows, pigs, etc. throughout their short lives, keeping them in unbearable situations with no regard for their pain and suffering. If you feel as strongly as you seem to, hand out pamphlets in front of the egg cartons at the grocery store.

Second, finding an avian vet who knows anything about treating chickens is easier said than done. We've been lucky to find one who will even treat chickens, but he's a good source for Baytril and that's about it.

Third, birds are extremely sensitive and respond in unpredictable ways to anesthesia. Without someone who is an expert in treating a particular species of bird, you are very likely to simply kill the bird using anesthesia. Even if the person is an expert, there's a good chance the bird will die.

Fourth, to the people who think you shouldn't keep chickens if you can afford expensive avian vets, I would again bring up the issue of factory farms. Is it better to keep chickens as sources of eggs and meat, giving them love and protection and lives outside in the sun, even if you can't afford a vet, or is it better to get your eggs and meat from the grocery store, where you know the chickens are most likely living with their beaks cut off in unbelievably crowded conditions, sitting in their own filth without ever seeing the light of day? And if you think that your extra money can buy peace of mind by getting "organic" or "free range," I suggest you do a little bit of research and see how minimal those standards are. Give me the local farm in 10 times out of 10.

Definitely they feel pain.

I think chickens have some unique abilities to deal with pain, but my rule of thumb is not to cause pain needlessly. Vet care is always part of the budget in my house, but I'm very lucky to have an excellent exotic vet who works with everything from parrots to chickens. As some have said, some folk here don't have access to good vets who understand poultry.

The stories of doing surgeries for lack of decent vet care available, I would consider needful. Annie and the roo with the amputated toe were definitely cases where it had to be done.

Absolutely. Just like humans. All living things feel pain, even though they don't always show it.

Back
Top Bottom