Do chickens get cabin fever?

Quote:
I knew about avocados being toxic to chickens, but I hadn't heard anything about onions. I've been feeding onions to our fairly frequently, since I use onions in most things I cook. I'd hate to think I may have been slowly poisoning my birds.

crtrlovr,
Do you have a reference for believing onions are bad? I looked on Buff Hooligan's thread about treats and didn't find onions listed as good or bad.

Can anyone else confirm this please?

Quote:
I knew about avocados being toxic to chickens, but I hadn't heard anything about onions. I've been feeding onions to our fairly frequently, since I use onions in most things I cook. I'd hate to think I may have been slowly poisoning my birds.

crtrlovr,
Do you have a reference for believing onions are bad? I looked on Buff Hooligan's thread about treats and didn't find onions listed as good or bad.

Can anyone else confirm this please?

Onions and garlic can make the eggs taste funny. But they aren't poisonous.

Thank you so much everyone!! Everyday I've been giving them table scraps, mostly veggies and pasta and stuff, and on super snowy days when I have them all in the coop, I put a "slice" of bedding in there so they can scratch around.

Quote:
Thanks andythescot,

Our girls get table scraps about 4 days a week. We maintain a low sodium (almost no sodium) diet, so I'm pretty comfortable about feeding leftovers to them. The girls go crazy for almost anything I put out there, except for carrots and corn which are always the last to be eaten. Our eggs taste great according to all who have tried them, so I guess I haven't over done it with onions or garlic.

Lately I've been cooking a lot more beans and lentils. I've been a bit hesitant to share those leftovers with the girls so far, not sure of any digestive or pooping changes it might cause.

Quote:
Well, since chickens do fart, I think you can safely offer them cooked lentils and beans.

lau.gif
They might blast themselves right off the roost.

Mine wers tuck in the coop for days at the beginning of the week. Combination of snow and my knee surgery. But yesterday I got out there and shoveled a small space in the run for them, and threw down some hay with BOSS and grit and some veggie scraps in it. Then we got hit with more snow last night into today (still coming down!) and when the pop door opened, they just stood there like "Not AGAIN!" LOL So I gave them a big bowl full of tomato cores from last night, some green veggies trimmings, leftover oatmeal from breakfast, BOSS, oyster shell grit and crushed eggshell. Oh and also a hard boiled and chopped egg. They loved it! I'm hoping we don't get as much ice as they say we are tonight, so I can go shovel them out again tomorrow.

Quote:
Hi neighbor,

Thsi afternoon I went out to their run to give them some scraps. Normally when I open the gate they flood out, but not today. They stood there looking at me as if to say "well, throw it in."
roll.png
8 inches of snow is apparently where they draw the line.

Quote:
Hello back! Yeah, they don't seem to mind rain, but snow! Whole 'nother story! I left a small ridge of snow (maybe an inch high and 2-3 inches wide) at the bottom of the ramp yesterday and EVERY SINGLE one of them flew over it to get to the cleared and hay covered part of the run! You'd think the stuff was poison.

Back
Top Bottom