Do chickens get fleas?

I live in Florida. If I don't use it, those giant roaches move in. I have a coop that was totally infested with them and I mean the doors were covered with them when I opened it. I did the Home Defense, it dried, the chickens lived in there. Not one live roach for a whole year. The stuff is amazing. In Florida, you really need something that works.

Hi from Michigan! (Yes, I had to turn on the heat on 14 June 2014, which is so not okay...) I have a mixed flock of 17 birds; 8 Aracaunas (one turned out to be a Roo, he's a gorgeous wheaten red pyle with full muffs and a beard,) 5 Light Brahmas, 2 Isa Browns, 1 Black Sex-Linked and 1 Silver-Laced Wyandotte. Every day they all get up onto the porch and wait for their daily hand-feeding of scratch grains or whatever other tasty snacks I may have hanging around. I noticed what I thought to be a flea in one of the Isa Browns hackles. My dog and cat (indoor/outdoor) are treated monthly with prescription flea/tick/heartworm/mange/ear mite medications, and I have no fleas in my house (thank God for that.) This is my first time with chickens, but not with birds. Should I check them for fleas like you'd check other animals? Around the head, tail, vents and underbelly? If one has fleas, it's fair to assume that they all have fleas, eh? My husband and I are getting ready to move, and the open-bottom coops are going with us. We just have roosting ladders in there right now, as our oldest birds are only three months old. The laying boxes, though not installed in the coop yet, are constructed out of cedar, which I know won't kill fleas, but fleas don't like it. What other precautions should I take to treat/prevent fleas and other...parasites...on my chickens and their coop? They are free-range, but they'll be confined at the new house for several weeks. Thanks in advance for any help,

Julia

Back
Top Bottom