Do chickens go "grey" with age?

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
My Black Australorpe hen has had several wing feathers come in lighter black, almost grey after her molt. She is about 7 years old.

Have you ever experienced this? She remains my beautiful girl, of course.

That I don't know I have seen older chickens that have a duller color than the young ones. But pray they don't do what I did. That is to lose all your hair. Featherless chickens and winter won't mix well at all.

My lakenvelder roo is getting white feathers on his neck; he used to look like this but now he’s getting a lot of white streaks. I got him as an adult so I don’t know how old he is

Attachments

• 954FDC90-5E1A-4FEE-8BA7-DB306BA9F772.jpeg
    954FDC90-5E1A-4FEE-8BA7-DB306BA9F772.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 25
My blue girl sure looks to be graying, but then she is gray to begin with. She is 8YO going on 9, the other old birds have also became not so vibrant as they once were. Not exactly graying,,,
My birds all molted in the winter last year, it was hard to look at them out in the cold with few feathers, but they did ok.

My Black Australorpe hen has had several wing feathers come in lighter black, almost grey after her molt. She is about 7 years old.

Have you ever experienced this? She remains my beautiful girl, of course.
One of my black Australorps born in 2014 about the last 3 to 6 months has been getting What looks like gray hair On her neck and head.

Back
Top Bottom